1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disappearing DVD Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtoolm, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtoolm

jtoolm Thread Starter

I recently installed some more ram in my computer. After installing I turned cpu back on and it started beeping on and off. I took out the 512mb of ram and left the 1g of ram in there (they are same type of ram just bigger size). turned the cpu back on and it booted up like normal. I went to put a dvd in but both of my dvd drives had vanished and my cpu is not recognizing them. Any knowledge on this situation would be greatly appreciated

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Check the IDE cable and make sure its snug on the motherboard side.

3. angeltherat

angeltherat

this is way wierd, because i just suddenly had the same problem which i also started a thread about. i installed a new highspeed usb port thing two weeks ago, but it was only last night that i could no longer access my drives.

4. jtoolm

jtoolm Thread Starter

well i checked my ide cables and everything was nice and snugg i turned on my computer and viola, my dvd drives were back on my computer. Doesn't make any sense, but atleast it works. I am still puzzled at why my computer would not start up when i insert a 1g of ram in a slot and a 512mb in another it would just keep beeping. The ram is the exact type. Any help would be appreciated

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Alot of computers need a matched pair of RAM or just a single stick. E.G. If you have 4 slots and slot 1 is filled then slot 3 should be the exact same size and type. If its not then it won't work properly in alot of cases. The best thing to do is consult the MB manual to see what it requires and will accept in the memory slots.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

ageltherat you may want to try the same fix sometimes a ribbon cable can be just on the verge of coming out but not quite ocnnected and then cause problems later. Usuaully the first thin I check is all connections are snug.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice