1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disappearing DVD & Re-Writer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aynglfyre, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aynglfyre

Aynglfyre Thread Starter

I recently did a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro, I'd previously been running 98SE.

System config:

AMD K6-2 400mhz cpu
    Chaintech 5AGM2 Motherboard
    64mb PC100 RAM
    128mb PC133 RAM
    6.4g hdd
    2.5g hdd
    Creative Labs PCI128 Sound Card
    Voodoo Banshee Graphics Card
    Freecom re-writer 4x4x32
    Pioneer DVD 104S

My problem is this,

On the bios screen sometimes the dvd and writer do not show, and are not in device manager in Windows.

or/and

On bios screen just the dvd shows no writer
    dvd only in device manager

or/and

On bios screen both show and both in device manager

or/and

On bios screen both show but neither in device manager

(Sometimes the tray on the writer opens, sometimes there's no power to it depending on what occurs on bootup)

I've changed the IDE cable, checked that they are set properly, dvd master and writer slave (still the same setting as when I had 98SE)

Checked the power plugs to each device.

Checked memory sticks are in slots firmly.

Checked all cards are in slots firmly.

Checked fans working.

Checked power supply & fan working.

Time and date ok, so not the battery.

I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator but not Direct CD as I was advised not to.

Unable to burn cd's ECDC couldnt find the writer.

Uninstalled, reformatted again, installed Nero.

Nero couldnt find writer

Uninstalled reformatted, now no copying software on computer, just 2K, AOL, and ICQ.

I haven't installed any of the software that I usually keep on my machine (ie: Dreamweaver, PSP and ftp software)

I just don't know what else to try, other than to reformat and go back to 98SE, as everything worked ok with 98SE.

Is it just that 2000 isn't compatible with my computer, or my writer? (cant download latest drivers for the writer as don't know the model/serial number).

And can't download latest drivers for the decoder for my DVD as it is no longer in production and not supported by W2k (so I have disabled the decoder card in device manager).

Please can someone advise me as to what will get it up and running again.

I feel like throwing the whole shebang out the window and getting a new system! (haven't won the lotto yet though).

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Aynglfyre

Aynglfyre Thread Starter

I guess no-one has any ideas on this one?

Typical senario today, booted up writer and dvd found.

Shut down mid morning rebooted lunchtime no dvd or writer, rebooted both magically appear in bios again.

Has anyone got any ideas on this one cos it's driving me nutz.

3. ChuckG

ChuckG

Aynglfyre- First off, this is just a guess.

Your machine is loosing some of it's BIOS settings intermittently. It is an older computer so the first thing I would do is to replace the battery with a new one.

4. Aynglfyre

Aynglfyre Thread Starter

Thanks Chuck, I'd thought it might be the battery, but as the date and time settings were ok discarded the idea.

I'll get another battery and see if that does the trick.

I've not changed a battery on a computer before. When I do, do I need to download a bios upgrade or will it still keep the info in the original bios?

Sorry not very techy I'm afraid. But keen to learn.

5. ChuckG

ChuckG

After you change the battery on your motherboard (with the computer completely turned off), start the machine and go straight into the BIOS. You'll see an option in there to set to "system defaults." Choose this option, save and exit out of there. Your system will now reboot. You do not need a BIOS upgrade for this.

I can't give you any promises here but it's where I would start. Old batteries are funny and can do strange things to a machine. Not only that, but batteries are inexpensive and easy to replace.

This will get you started on a fix. Try this and let us know how you make out.

Edit: Also, while you have the case open, make sure all your ribbon cables are securely connected to your devices.

6. Aynglfyre

Aynglfyre Thread Starter

Thanks Chuck I'll get the battery in asap, and thanks for the instructions on changing it.

I'd already had the back off and checked all the cables, and power plugs, and anything else that was likely to be lose when I first encountered the problem.

I'll certainly let you know how I get on. ;)

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If the battery doesn't fix it, try this..

Put the DVD as a slave on the same cable as your harddrive. Then put the CDRW on a cable by itself as master.

Sometimes two optical drives on the same cable confuses the PC.

8. Aynglfyre

Aynglfyre Thread Starter

thanks I'll try that too. Although they have been connected like this (2 optical drives on one cable) ever since the machine was put together and ran ok like it under 98SE.

I have 2 hard drives. So I'll put the cdwriter as slave to the second hdd right? lol sorry tried so much to sort this prob out I'm getting totally confused now.

9. Aynglfyre

Aynglfyre Thread Starter

Changed the battery and there's no change. (Time and date were ok on old battery btw)

On boot up sometimes they are in bios and sometimes they're not.

Didn't change the cabling, as I have a second hard drive as primary slave, so have to have both optical drives on one ide cable.

Anymore suggestions?

This is a beast of a problem to solve isn't it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice