Disappearing folders / files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jfk2009

Hi, I'm having trouble with my computer with what appears to be disappearing folders and files.

I use XP Professional and a hard drive with 4 partitions. After a fresh XP install and setting up my programs (Norton antivirus, winamp, paintshop, etc) I notice that some files/folders just seem to disappear. The applications won't start when I use their shortcuts. So I check the folders in the Start Menu but they are empty. When I check the folders with Explorer, I get some error message like "folder X is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

After getting there errors I restart but can't boot into XP anymore. Safe mode doesn't work either. I get a quick flash of a blue screen before the computer automatically restarts. I’ve formatted and reinstalled XP a few times, but I always get the corrupted errors soon after (a few hours or maybe a day later?)

Does this mean I have a boot virus or something? Or, since I partitioned my HD, can there be a problem w/ the partition tables?

Thank you for any help you can give

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online