Disappearing Hard Drive Space

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JHY-IC

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with Win XP Pro, SP2 installed. I have noticed that my hard drive space is slowly disappearing. I have lost approximately 800-900MB of space. I know some viruses (trojans/worms?) can cause this.

I recently scanned my computer using Trend Micros PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005, Panda On-Line Activescan, and A2 squared. No viruses were found.

I have not installed any new programs in the last few months. I have only installed virus update signatures and Win XP security updates. I always monitor my remaining drivespace after these installations.

I also regularly scan my computer for adware, spyware and malware using AdAware Pro, CounterSpy, Microsoft Antispyware, and Spybot.

Any help would be appreciated.

you don't mention whether you do regular disk cleanups, empty Recycle bin, delete tempory Internet files, Cookies, Prefetch folder. all obvious things I know, but do you?

JHY-IC

I do empty the recycle bin on a daily basis, as well as remove the cookies, etc. I do not, however, clean the prefetch folder. How would I accomplish this?

I run System Mechanic 5 and TuneUp 2004 clean up utilities about 3 times a week.

C:\Windows\Prefetch\

Delete everything in that folder. Windows will be a tad slow when you reboot as it rebuilds the folder but OK afterwards. I am not putting this forward as an answer as obviously from your last post you keep on top of things. The Prefetch folder however can hold an awful lot of junk, but if your using System Mechanic then its default setting is to clear this folder anyway, and I'm presuming you do defragment at regular intervals? . Another possibility is you have a backup program running, some of these use hidden partitions to protect the data and expand as the backup increases.

dustyjay

Jay
Do you have System restore enabled on this drive? If it is you may want to delete all except the latest restore point. These take a up a fair amount of drive space after a while. This is an option available in disk cleanup. Under more options I do believe. sorry posted wrong location first time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online