1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disappearing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weldyguy, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weldyguy

weldyguy Thread Starter

Hi Everyone, I started out with a 20.5 GB hard drive and as time goes by i've noticed it's shrinking quite a bit. It's currently displayed as being 19 GB. Is that missing capacity being taken up with whats been deleted over the last two years? Can this some how be reclaimed? My os is Win.98SE Thanks for any help,Weldyguy

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

What is the size reported in the BIOS?

Have you tried updating the BIOS (installing the most current revision)?

Have you ever created any partitions on the drive?

Have you tried running a full scandisk and defrag?

What is the make/model of your system?

3. weldyguy

weldyguy Thread Starter

Hi columbo, Thanks for answering my post. I have an Ikon Technologies
    550MGH. PentiumIII with 128MB.Ram. The available space on drive C: is listed as 4547MB of 19522MB (FAT32) Windows-managed swap file on drive C (4547MB free) I'm not sure what that last line means though. At your suggestion I ran a thorough scandisk,nothing bad reported,and defragged the C: drive. I don't know how to go about updating the BIOS. As far as partitioning the drive, I'm not sure. We did set up an additioal desktop for my son. Would that partition the drive?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Open up 'my computer' and right click on the drive letter....go to properties....what does it say there for capacity?

5. weldyguy

weldyguy Thread Starter

It States capacity at 20,470,890,496 bytes or 19GB

6. ETS

ETS

Has that location ever stated that the drive had higher capacity than it states now? That's the location AcaCandy asked you to check. Sounds to me like everything is normal.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sounds normal to me as well.....for comparison purposes, I have a 30 gig hard drive and mine registers there as 30,706,368,512 and 28.5 GB..... :)

8. weldyguy

weldyguy Thread Starter

OK! Thanks for your time.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice