1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disappearing items in autoexec.bat

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nibor, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

I have Windows 98SE but still use some DOS programs (SuperCalc 5.5 and Word Perfect 5.1) through Windows, i.e. not in MS-DOS mode. Presently in Windows I have UK keyboard, but in the DOS programs the keyboard seems to be US - " comes out as @ and vice versa. I tried amending the autoexec.bat to add the necessary instructions for UK keyboard. I did this in Notepad, saved it, exited from Notepad, then opened it and checked the amendments were correct. But when I rebooted the computer my new instructions had disappeared and the autoexec.bat was as if I'd never altered it. How on earth can this be?

Nibor

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

To edit the autoexec.bat file you want to click on Start/Run and type
    sysedit and click OK. It will open all the system startup files in a cascade.

**However, if the only time your keyboard is 'misbehaving' is in these DOS programs, I think you should right-click on the shortcut for the program, go to Properties, the Program Tab, and choose MS-DOS mode, and then create an autoexec.bat file for that program's use. Just my opinion....

Good luck!

3. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Kimmer13. I could do your 2nd option, but that would mean running the programs in MS-DOS mode, but I'm keen to continue running them through a window so that I can switch between them and other Windows programs. I haven't had any trouble with this before.

I tried your first option and at sysedit the files came up in a cascade, just as you said, all except autoexec.bat; this message appeared: "cannot open c:\autoexec.bat. No explanation was given.

Nibor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice