1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disappearing laptop monitor display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevedann, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

My Advent laptop (running XP SP2) has just developed a display problem. When I start it the monitor shows the POST page (if that's what it's called) and then the Windows display. After that the screen goes black, it seems to turn off not just display black, if that makes sense. I can use the key that selects laptop or external display to make the screen light up again but it only displays black. If I start in Safe Mode, the screen displays properly.

There have been no changes to the hardware / software recently although shortly before this I did a delete & wipe of the free space on the C drive with BCWipe. I think the screen was OK a short time after that but can't be sure.

Any help much appreciated.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Can you do a System Restore to a time you know everything was working normally? You would obviously need to do this while in Safe mode. Since everything seems to work in Safe Mode this appears to be a Software problem instead of a hardware problem.

3. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

Sadly not, System Restore doesn't work for some reason, but thanks for the idea. I'm going to do a virus scan and take it from there.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like the refresh rate is too high.

In Safe Mode, set it to 60 Hz, then retry.

5. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, when I click on 'list all modes' every single one is default refresh rate. Is that because I'm in safe mode?

6. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, in the end I decided to wipe the slate clean and re-install XP. Having found all the drivers it's running even better than before, even system restore works! I do have one problem with my wireless connection but I'm going to start another thread in 'networking' for that.

Thanks everyone.

7. jackdw

jackdw

In the safe mode menu there is an option called 'Start in VGA mode'. Try that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice