Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappearing laptop monitor display

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jackdw 
#1 ·
My Advent laptop (running XP SP2) has just developed a display problem. When I start it the monitor shows the POST page (if that's what it's called) and then the Windows display. After that the screen goes black, it seems to turn off not just display black, if that makes sense. I can use the key that selects laptop or external display to make the screen light up again but it only displays black. If I start in Safe Mode, the screen displays properly.

There have been no changes to the hardware / software recently although shortly before this I did a delete & wipe of the free space on the C drive with BCWipe. I think the screen was OK a short time after that but can't be sure.

Any help much appreciated.

#2 ·
Can you do a System Restore to a time you know everything was working normally? You would obviously need to do this while in Safe mode. Since everything seems to work in Safe Mode this appears to be a Software problem instead of a hardware problem.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input, in the end I decided to wipe the slate clean and re-install XP. Having found all the drivers it's running even better than before, even system restore works! I do have one problem with my wireless connection but I'm going to start another thread in 'networking' for that.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.