1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disappearing "My Documents" folder and dud System Restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mullet2262, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mullet2262

Mullet2262 Thread Starter

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with this or point me in the right direction. Much appreciated!

I am doing this on behalf of a friend. She has a 3Ghz AMD with 1Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, Win XP SP2 installed. The HDD is divided into 3 partitions - OS, Documents and Program. She has a network with her children's computers (4!) but whilst they can ping each other, they are not actually networked to each other.

A week ago, she installed Nero 6.?.? Burning and Cyberlink DVD on to her computer. Both were installed on the Program partition. At that point, all her documents and images were in the "My Documents" folder on the Documents partition and were all visible and working. Within the My Documents folder was a folder called "My Documents 1" which was all the stuff she had brought over from her old HDD but not yet sorted and merged with her current computer.

Three days later, after she had started joining and then cancelling her subscription to an online site, she found the following had happened:

- her "My Documents folder" in the Documents partition had vanished, along with all her word, music and photo files.

- her Webshot photos folder had also vanished.

- A search through Windows did not turn any of these up. I personally scanned the whole computer and found no trace of them.

- All the System Restore checkpoints for the last 5 days (Sunday 2/3 to 6/3) failed to restore the system to what it was prior to the installations. (System Restore Incomplete - unable to finish or something to that effect).

- When I ran both the antivirus and spyware programs, the AVG run was clean but the spyware turned up 64 tracking cookies but no high level issues. (She felt running these programs daily chewed up too much time etc etc. Even when I told her to run all 5 computers at least once weekly (Boot up, start the scanning programs, get the updates and run them then leave them to do their scanning, walk away go do some shopping and check the results when you get back - too easy!) :rolleyes:

- Of course she did not do any backups!!!(n)

Any ideas anyone? Any steps to take? Programs to use to try and recover her folders?

Much appreciated!

Pete

2. kniht

kniht

If you look at the free space on the partition where the My Documents folder is missing is it the same as it was before the folder went missing, has the free space increased or do you have any way of knowing?

3. Mullet2262

Goood point! re the free space/file siz. I'll send her an email and when I get the chance (won't be able to in the next few days) I'll have a quick squiz to see if we can find out. Hmmmm, any logging functions that might show this kind of change?

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Pete

4. kniht

kniht

Have you tried opening My Computer. Click on "Tools". Select "Folder Options".

In "Folder Options" under "Hidden files and folders" click on the radial button that states "Show hidden files and folders" just in case for some reason the folder became hidden somehow?

5. Mullet2262

Sorry for the delay in getting back here - been tied up!

Re Folder size, of 29.2Gb size, only 286Mb has been used. Considering she had photos (lots of them), music and documents in that partition, she should have had over 1Gb used. I've got mine set up a similar way and it's showing 3.6Gb and I'm not a real heavy user in that area.

Re Hidden Files and Folders, I'm waiting to hear back on that one.

It's starting to look like it's gorne, but that begs the next question - what happened?

Well, worst comes to worst, she has learnt a good lesson!!

Thanks Kniht!

Pete

6. kniht

kniht

May I ask what was the online site she joined? Does she still have the old HDD?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/691726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice