1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disappearing space/hard drive repartition?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drivedissector, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drivedissector

drivedissector Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3956 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 310M, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 102399 MB, Free - 4586 MB; D: Total - 359076 MB, Free - 347423 MB; F: Total - 1907695 MB, Free - 248410 MB; G: Total - 2861554 MB, Free - 2773275 MB;
    Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., R580/R590
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

When I woke my computer up this morning I had 9G free space, now mysteriously I have only 4.5. I have a split drive with 100G on C and 400 on D which is just a waste as far as I'm concerned. Is there any way to repartition the drives so more space is available on C and less on D? Alternately, can anyone explain where my space is disappearing to even when nothing is being installed? I've cleaned up and moved as much as I can to external drives but even while doing that or compressing, the space disappears and doesn't reappear with reboot.

Hope you can help,
    Thanks,
    Drivedissector

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

You should be able to extend the partition as long as C is located to the left of the free space (you can't go the other way around). I believe you have to delete the entire partition you're going to extend into, so make sure you copy everything over to another HDD. Lots of tutorials on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycRPR7nz72c

Hope this helps

Remember to back up everything (I've extended other partitions but never the C drive so maybe wait for someone to confirm this is 'safe' before taking my word for it :D)

3. drivedissector

Thanks so much - I'll hold off. I think I might have temporarily identified the problem and have freed up half the C drive with http://windirstat.info/
    (Not sure how to make that a hot link) but I scanned the directory and found one program that had been storing .wav files for a couple of years - a dictation program.
    As my complete problem isn't totally solved yet, I won't mark it that way until, as you say, someone confirms your solution. But thank you again.

4. Dougx789

Dougx789

Glad to hear you've found out what's eating up all your memory.
    I don't know what your current set up is... but if its the default then all your personal folders (my docs, music etc) will be saved onto the C partition. This causes the C partition to quickly fill up.
    You may want to consider moving your personal files to a different partition. A guide to how to do this can be found here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87555-user-profile-change-default-location.html

I personally have a partition with windows on which is 100G then have my documents etc on a second partition with the rest of the available space. This prevents either partition from getting to full and causing issues.

5. drivedissector

Thank you - that's my set up as well and I have moved all folders, personal files to external drives or even to the D Drive in some cases but it just seems such a waste of space to have all that room on the D drive and so little on the C.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice