1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disappearing TCP/IP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by curtwhit, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curtwhit

curtwhit Thread Starter

Can anyone help me solve the case of the missing TCP/IP?

I have several computers in my house, and broadband wireless Internet connection. The connection to the wireless box uses Cat 5 cable to a NIC in a Windows 98 SE box. On this box I run Vicomsoft SurfDoubler to do NAT and serve DHCP through a second NIC to a hub that then connects to the other computers. Through this setup, I receive a dynamic IP address from my ISP, and serve IP addresses to the other computers and thus share my Internet connection.

OK, here's the problem. Sometimes I cannot connect to the Web, even though I have a valid IP address. At times, nothing goes, not even a ping. Other times, the other computers can connect, but not the Windows 98 box. That is, IE6 on that machine keeps giving DNS errors.

Working with my ISP tech support, we took a look at the Network control panel. We deleted the TCP/IP protocols and re-installed them. Then it worked fine for a day or two. When it started going bad again, I went to repeat this annoying process, and found that I had 2 entries for the 2 NICs, but only 1 TCP/IP entry for the 2nd NIC (connected to the hub). Weird! So I reinstalled a TCP/IP protocol, which attached to the 1st NIC. Things were better for just an hour or so. When I went back into the Control Panel, the TCP/IP protocol for the 1st NIC was gone! 2 NICs, 1 TCP/IP, no connection to the Web. What's a fella to do?

I reinstalled Windows 98 SE. Loads of fun, no improvement. Even when I do have both TCP/IP stacks, I don't get a reliable connection on that machine, even though the others may work.

I've disconnected the ISP connection from the Windows computer and connected to my iMac. I don't have Internet sharing for the moment, but I have a great connection on the one computer.

Any ideas?

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

any chance the 2 NICs are the same make/model?
    that's been known to cause probs with ICS set ups

so you have:

wireless receiver
    l
    W98SE NIC1, dhcp/nat software
    ll
    NIC2
    lll
    hub
    llll
    other PCs

interesting
    beyond that pithy comment, can only suggest the 2 NIC look see, then perhaps a more technically oriented networking site:

maybe <u>helmig's site</u>
    or
    <u>practically networked</u>

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice