1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disasbling CD-ROM access

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Viper, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Viper

Viper Thread Starter

Is it possible to/how would I disable access to the CD-ROM drive for ordinary users in Windows 2000 and XP Pro whilst letting administrators access it?

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

I am not sure that is possible Viper but I could be wrong
    Sorry couldn't answer for sure
    Peter

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You could probably do this with hardware profiles, have the CD-ROM disabled in the user's profile.

4. littlekira

littlekira

As johnwill suggested you can use hardware profiles to disable to cd for regular users.
    You could disable it in the default hardware profile and then created a second hardware profile where you have it enabled. You can then set the option to allow you to choose which profile you want to use when you logon.

5. viperben1

viperben1

due to you using win2000 and xp you can disable the cd drive by right clicking on it and selecting security in the properties window. this should enable you to tel it that a user has no access to the drive and allow administrators to be able to have assess.

if this doesnt work try using policys

but the thing is that if you just use a policy that hides the drive in my computer the user can still access the drive!!!!!!. there are many ways round the hiding of a drive

ben

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

On Windows2000 -
    Just tried right clicking on the CD ROM in My Computer
    Go to Properties
    There is no Security tab (on General, Hardware and Sharing)
    Under Sharing you can control who can access the CD ROM over a network but not locally.

On WindowsXP Pro -
    The only tabs are General, Autoplay, Hardware, Sharing, and Recording. Again no Security tab.

Are you sure you can select which local users can access a CD ROM that way? I need more information to find it.

7. viperben1

viperben1

i apolojise you carnt stop cd drive that way. in which case the best way is to use a small program that will disable cd rom access or just remove it from my computer for certain users.

good luck. you definately can do this

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!