1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disaster When Adding Memory to Dell Dimension 4500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WillfromSF, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WillfromSF

WillfromSF Thread Starter

I just added 512MB memory to the existing 512MB that came with the PC. When I booted up the machine I could smell something burning (like the smell of a soldering iron) and the computer did not boot at all. Nothing came up on the monitor and it indicated no signal was coming through. The power light was on, I could hear the motor running. The diagnostic lights on the back of the PC indicate that no memory is detected. I tried all combinations of the two memory cards in the two slots, but no luck at all.

So what burned out? The memory, the mother board? Do you think the hard drive is still OK? What do you suggest I do? I live in San Francisco -- is there someone local you recommend? I need to fix this problem ASAP.

Please email me with your answer -- [email protected]

HELP! and thanks.

Will

2. mcslimg

mcslimg

are you positive you added the correct amount of ram?

and are you on the same computer right NOW that you previously tried to install the ram in?

3. Flags

Flags

Will: If this 4500 is a valise type case, could you possibly have pinched a wire when you closed it?
    Look carefully at each wire to check this.
    Can you get it to boot using only the original stick of ram?

4. WillfromSF

WillfromSF Thread Starter

mcslimg - yes I added the correct amount of RAM and no, I am on a different PC (the problem one is dead right now)

Flags - no wires were pinched and no I can't get it to boot with original RAM.

I just spent about 1.75 hours with Dell Tech Support and it appears somehow adding the RAM blew the motherboard or at least the RAM slots. I'll just try to get what I can off the hard drive and buy a new machine. Not worth throwing any more money into that Dell.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

5. mcslimg

mcslimg

probably a smart decision just to get done with that (what seems like an old computer)

if you can, please pop back in here and tell us exactly what/why it happened... cuz im stumped.

6. dukester_56

dukester_56

Will,
    i'm just curious from what source did you purchase your memory cards?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice