1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Disc boot failure"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ksiaze, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

Help! I repaired friend's machine, everythink work properly, drivers no conflict, restarted twice, etc... I used my monitor/keyboard/mouse. Few hours later, after he took machine to his home... calls me - computer does not working - "disc boot failure". He said just connect all cables (power, monitor, mouse, keyboard), no floppy inside, no cd rom. Could be wrong monitor (MAG)? Have any idea?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Generally a monitor won't cause a hard drive not to boot.

What was repaired on the computer?

One at a time, try removing and putting right back on the ribbon cable. Both from the hard drive and from where it connect to the motherboard.

Make sure that the white power connected is also plugged in and that the hard drive is spinning. You can kinda feel it.

Make sure the hard drive is recognized by the comuter's BIOS.

3. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

What was repaired on the computer?

I tell you all story.
    HDD 40BG was installed. After that WinXP was restored. I tested this machine, worked fine. Than he took comp, and call me: not working... missing system32/config/system. I restored this file from windows/repair. Again work with me. I restarted cup of times. Still no problems. Again he took comp - not working. This time - "Disc boot failure". And again he bring to me, I press start button and... WORKING!!! Restarted few times and checked all hardware - no conflicts. HDD recognized correctly. Do you believe, he took machine and same day call me - NOT WORKING - "Disc boot failure". Is it not weird? For me first step to magic. Maybe he need shaman. Now serious. Have idea what is wrong. Sounds like computer can't read boot sector, but why works with my power cable/monitor/mouse/keyboard??? I'm confuse.

One at a time, try removing and putting right back on the ribbon cable. Both from the hard drive and from where it connect to the motherboard.

All right, did not try yet.

Make sure that the white power connected is also plugged in and that the hard drive is spinning. You can kinda feel it.

OK, I will check.

Make sure the hard drive is recognized by the comuter's BIOS.

Checked.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It could still easily be a defective hard drive. But you might as well try the simple, inexpensive, easy potential solutions first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/295872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice