disc clean-up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

myrdin

there is stuff on my pc which i would like to be rid off as it is taking up space and annoying
me because it is still there despite my efforts to remove it,namely programs i have tried to
uninstall,but would not go because something was missing.i did want to re format the drive and wipe it all clean,but my restore discs won't work anymore.also there is other stuff i don't want to lose,as i have no means to backup,cd-rom and floppy drive only.
is there a software solution to removing stuff that won't uninstall and generally cleaning up?there is aol on my pc,did try to uninstall it,but i am sure there is bits of it left over,i would be happier if they were'nt there.
any help would be much appreciated.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Use the link that was given to you by GolferBob so you can install and make use of ToniArts EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380. The "Unnecessary" and "Registry" functions will allow you to get rid of all the junk files and invalid registry entries that it finds.

Also, go into the C:\Program Files folder and delete the folders to programs that you no longer want and can't uninstall in Add/Remove Programs. Just be careful not to delete folders to programs that you do want and use.

If that computer is really that messed up, a hard drive format and Windows reinstall would be the best way to deal with it, but you'd need to have the proper disks available and know how to do it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

myrdin

thankyou both,golferbob and flaverllee,downloaded and tried the said program,the pc seems a little happier,but still slow sometimes,am i expecting too much for a 5gb hard drive on a 2mb broadband connection,sometimes as slow as dial up?
i would like to reformat,i have the original discs from compaq and have used them before to good effect,tried them recently and got the message that these discs are not for my operating system.this machine was win 98,but included with the restore discs was a win 98 updates disc which i ran and now have win98se.i thought this was the problem,so i uninstalled the updates and tried to run the discs again,same report,discs are not for this operating system.any ideas?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Even if the restore CD worked, you wouldn't want to use it because it would revert that computer back to "day one" when it was first brought home and set up and would install a lot of real outdated stuff back in that computer.

If there's also been new hardware added to the interior since it was purchased, that would cause a problem with the restore CD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

myrdin

hello again,no hardware has been installed "in"the computer,have a small iomega zip drive,an optical mouse ,a powered usb hub and a dsl modem connected,surely these peripherals can't be a problem,i usually disconnect the lot when i try to reformat.yes,last time i ran the restore discs,i got the option to reformat which i took,when the discs had finished i did have lots of "unusual" stuff present including the compaq guides to comfort,safety,etc.just ran compaq diagnostics for windows 2.20d,the only fault it came up with was as follows;

error network controller:irq test:test failed,errror code:060004001
nic irq failure
recommended action,check nic configuration

could this be my problem?also,the bios version is 1.35,can this be updated,is it worth it?aside from all that,if i cannot use the compaq restore disks to reformat,how else can it be done.
thankyou for all your help with my pc problems,it is much appreciated,am still learning.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If the restore CD doesn't work, you'll need a fully-bootable startup floppy disk and a full version Windows 98SE CD to format the hard drive and install Windows 98SE from scratch.

When using the restore CD and doing a format/fresh install, don't connect anything other than the tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. Don't connect any printer, scanner, etc..

Don't bother updating the BIOS unless there's a need for it. If a BIOS update goes bad, you'll be left with an inoperable computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

myrdin

once again thankyou with your help at least i have some idea now.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online