1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disc Cleanup Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cramill, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cramill

cramill Thread Starter

I don't know how serious this is, but I would like to find out.

Yesterday I decided to do the Disc Cleanup on my hard drive on my Laptop and while it was running I got this message:

"Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.
    Insert your now."
    ^I'm guessing its asking to insert a windows installation CD, which didn't come with the computer, but it doesn't say what to insert.
    There were 3 buttons "Retry", "More Information", and "Cancel". When I pressed the Retry I got "The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the into your CD-Drive." "More Information" gave me "Possible reasons for the problem: -You have inserted the wrong CD. -The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning."
    Since I don't have that CD, my only option was to press Cancel. Which told me: "You chose not to restore the original versions of the files. This may affect Windows Stability. Are you sure you want to keep these unrecognized file versions?" So I pressed "Yes."

So my question is: Is this a big deal? Things seem to be working fine. Is there anything else I need to do?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Are you able to get to System Restore? See if you can do that...

3. cramill

cramill Thread Starter

Yes I can get to System Restore, do you recomend restoring it to an earlier point?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!