1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disc Defragmentation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Speedbird1, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedbird1

Speedbird1 Thread Starter

My PC was going extremely slow so my friend told me to use Disc Defragmentation and voila! My PC is like new, it works at least 5X faster than before and no longer freezes. What exactly does disc defragmentation do? I was wondering if I should also try "Disc Cleanup" option. Would that make the PC run even faster or should I not use it? He also told me to switch off the Auto Updates as that could be slowing my PC too.

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya Speedbird1.

Leave Auto Updates active as they can help eliminate any system holes that MS find.

With regards to Disc Defragmentation (D-frag), it does exactly what it says. As you use the computer and install, delete and move things about, the data is stored on the hard drive (HDD) in bits and pieces (fragments) and not necessarily all in the same place. When you run a program or open a file, it searches the HDD for all the bits to make up that particular option and then runs it but the fragments might be at different areas of the drive therefore taking a while to load fully.

D-frag`ing the HDD sorts all the fragments out and puts them in the smallest area possible which is why you see the blue area (data) being pushed up to one end of the drive in the graphical picture. The perfect D-frag would be to see a solid lump of blue on the left with maybe a splash of green (the page file) at the end.

My mind sees it as a warehouse containing boxes that are half full and to make a complete item, you have to look through all the boxes to find all the bits. If you give it time, D-frag`ing does that for you so all the boxes are in one corner and are all full. If you D-frag regulaly, the time it takes gets less as it doesn`t have so much to do each time.

By all means use the Disc Cleanup option as that`ll get rid of a lot of unwanted rubbish if you make sure all the boxes are ticked but if you haven`t used it for a while (or ever), it could take some time so be patient but cleaning up before a D-frag is always a good idea otherwise you`re just tidying junk.

Jenny

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties.
    What's listed for the processor type and speed and the amount of RAM?

Double-click MY COMPUTER, right-click the C drive icon, then click Properties.
    What's listed for the hard drive size and the amount of free/unused space?

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - Startup(tab).
    How many entries in the list have a checkmark?

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice