1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disc drive partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mfener, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mfener

mfener Thread Starter

I think this might be easy to solve. A while back a friend partitioned my hard drive into three different partitions. the one I use is now almost full and I would like to merge the almost-full partition with the next partition, which is completely empty. Can anyone help me with the steps to do that? Thanks in advance. I have a windows xp system with the big service pak installed also. the pc is a dell dimension 4300 with a 1.6 ghz processor and 513 mb of RAM.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

The best way without losing any Data and not having to re install the operating system is using a Third Party program like Partition Magic or Disk Director by Acronis are two but there are others.

They will allow you to join to partitions up or re-size a partition.

3. mfener

mfener Thread Starter

Thanks!! Is that the only way to do it? There's nothing in the OS disk management area that allows you to undo or merge a partition?

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes you can do it with Windows Disk Management but it will erase what is on the drive.

If you backup all your Data you can start again and use disk management and then resize but it will erase everything.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't see anything in Windows XP Disk Management that allows the merging of two partitions.

If you decide to go forward with this merge with a 3rd-party utility, be sure to back everything up first. Re-partitioning can easily lead to corruption and data loss.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Yea I mean actually reformatting the drive

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice