1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disc drives so space used but no files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wrw0010, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wrw0010

wrw0010 Thread Starter

I recently had a crash and lost most everything on my drive. I reinstalled and have run some recovery programs and recovered the files that were still intact. One of my disk drives I had to reformat and I have put maybe a Gig of files back on it. Windows explorer is showing that it has 15.7 GB used on the disk but I cannot see the files except for those I have added since the crash. Can I recover the files or the space? At this time just getting the space back would be great.

2. dai

dai

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it isn't an ownership problem, can you take the files you want off the drive and repartition it?

4. wrw0010

wrw0010 Thread Starter

The problem is I can't even see the files that are taking up the space. I am logged in as an administrator and have hidden files shown. The only evidence that the files are even there is the used space on the disk. I know I only have 1.5 GB on the disk but it is showing around 9 GB used. I can't take ownership of the files because as far as the system is concerned, they only exist as used space.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

wrw0010,

From your first post, it sounds like the problem drive is not the one that was corrupted but one that you have since formatted. And that you can't see where the missing hard drive space is going.

There is a free utility that may help:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folrep.html

I've used it a lot to help solve these types of problems. A description from their site:

"The FoldersReport utility scans a drive or a base folder that you select, and displays essential information for each folder that it finds: The size of all files inside the folder, The real files size on the disk, number of files inside the folder, number of hidden files, number of compressed files, and number of subfolders. You can use this utility to easily find out which folders use the most space in your drive. "

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

When you reformatted that drive, did you use XP's Disk Management or some other method?

In any case, no program that purports to reveal drive usage will be able to see those files. In order to insure a non-corrupt partition, salvage what you can. Then, right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management and right-click the drive. Remove the partition. Then, create a new one, format it and assign the drive letter you wish.

This will make certain that any problems with the drive don't reappear later.

If you would like an utility that shows space usage on drives, try SpaceMonger. It has an interesting way of showing folders nested inside one another that I prefer to the usual boring, and not very useful, "pie chart".

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

wrw0010,

Since you seem to pay attention to these things, when you initially formatted the drive, did it show the correct amount of space available.

If so then it would seem to indicate that there were not any unknown other files on it taking up space like is happening now.

9. wrw0010

wrw0010 Thread Starter

I ran the restoration program and see a whole lot of stuff(6471 files to be exact). It looks like a old restore volume. Or is the program just showing the current restore volume and mistaking it for deleted files?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How was the drive formatted.
    Why was the drive formatted
    How large was the drive when it was formatted
    Where are the files you see located.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you use a filter to search only for file types that you lost? That will reduce the number found.

If the files recovered don't have recognizable names, the chances that they are intact is small.

12. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

How big is the System Restore cache on the drive in question?

13. wrw0010

wrw0010 Thread Starter

I appreciate all the help on this guys. I finally copied all the files I see back to my other drive. I then ran a low level format on the wounded drive. I now have back all my space. I gave up on recovering the other files because the only program that seemed to find them all listed them as file001, file002, file003, ...etc. It seemed like an enormous waste of time to try to go through each file to find out what it was and then rename it. Thanks again for all the help.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome. You may have given up a little too easily, but at least you're up and running.[​IMG]

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad you got it working.

That's often one of the drawbacks of those recovery programs and why I am reluctant to recommend them without clarification of what will actually happen. While they do recover files, it is often too much of a hassle going through them all to make it very realistic to use.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/336597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice