1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disc goes to 100%

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tranch, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

My machine becomes absolutely useless when this happens. Nothing wants to load or work, The Task Manager shows the disc (C) at 100% and no reason for it to be that way. I read somewhere it was due to my machine needing a Bios update. Did that and no change it still runs at 100 %, sometimes for 1 - 2 hours.

I read somewhere this is a problem Microsoft has known about since Win7 or 8 supposedly, but I can't seem to find any solution from them.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3983 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -2040 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (235 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 07PX56
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Check if the event log = windows logs - system log
    shows event 129
    as here
    system event log - Event ID 129 represents resets of the disk controller.

3. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

I found 19 entries with yellow triangles with storachi 129. Some were following entries with a yellow triangle for Disk 153.

4. Macboatmaster

what dates do they match recent events please or are they old

Not I think connected with your hot tub ? :D

5. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

Even though the disk was at 100% just a few minutes ago all the dates are older. This is the list for this month:
    the times for the Storahci 129 are;
    (X) 7/18 3:34 PM,
    (X) 7/17 2:38 PM,(X) 2:38 PM, (X)12:26 PM, (X) 11;59 AM, (X) 8:28 AM
    (X) 7/16 12:41 PM
    7/5 8:49:36 AM, 8:49:26 AM, 8:49:16 AM
    7/4 11:16 AM, 11:03 AM, 10:32 AM
    (X) 7/2 9:48 PM, 8:12 PM, (X) 7:35 PM, (X) 7:15 PM, (X) 6:10 PM, (X) 4:04 PM (X) 1:48 PM, 10:45 AM

Those dates marked with an (X) also had the DISK 153 error at the same time.
    UGH hate those "Hot Tubs!" They always smell like a bottle of bleach! :eek:

6. Macboatmaster

I suggest you try as here
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...00-disk-utilization-on-windows-10-devices-wit

The 153 error is delayed write failure to disc it could be connected with the above if you have the StorAHCI.sys” in the link
    OR it could possibly be connected to a drive or ram issue

However the checking of the details in the link is the first task and then if that does not prove to be the case or there are still 153 errors after taking the steps in the link, then although Windows usually checks the file system and disk state automatically and warns you if it finds problems, that it cannot deal with - producing the message that "one of your drives needs to be checked", I would recommend a drive check.

If you then find the drive has no problems and you continue to experience this slow performance and 100% drive use we will need to explore further

AmateurJohn likes this.
  7. jenae

jenae

Hi, what Powersettings do you have Balanced or High performance?
    Balanced introduces a delay in PCI express which really doesn't like it, either move to high performance or keep balanced and set in advanced power setting +PCI express "link state power management" to off.

8. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
    When the disk is running at 100% can you take a screenshot of it and post it here?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice