1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disc in drive shattered

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sisterdear, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sisterdear

sisterdear Thread Starter

Has anyone out there ever had a disc shatter in the cd rom drive???
    I think the drive is no good now. Computer is only 2 weeks old.

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It can happen with the newer 52X CD roms, but it is more common when there is damage to the disc. Any disc with cracks, no matter how small, around the center hole should not be used. Some say that CDs with adhesive labels can cause problems too, especially if they are even slightly off center.
    This is usually harder on the drive than the disc, but you never know.

3. chakorules

chakorules

I agree with Longhair. I've seen two shattered disks in my life time, both cases, the user had stuck his own "avery" label on the the disk. That is a NO NO folks..... That's why you spend big bucks to get your TIRES BALANCED on your car, same concept. You don't stick an avery label on your cd-rom and spin it up to 27,500 RPM (52x) RPM speeds....Not saying that is what happened in your case, but certainly something to remember. Other causes of this can be a bad or unbalanced cd-rom drive out of the box.

This is one of my FAVORITE quotes:

"Stadje found that today's high-speed 52x CD-ROM and 16x DVD drives stress the delicate plastic-and-metal disks they read. In lab tests at Atlas Copco Controls, spinning optical disks at top speeds - up to 30,000 revolutions per minute (rpm) - resulted in severe damage to the ceiling and the protective metal sleeve that encased the test spindle. At 52x CD-ROM speeds (27,500rpm) disks shatter in a "rain of plastic particles", shooting out long, sharp, knife-like shrapnel at half the speed of sound: "The result was a pile of shimmering plastic chips," he says. "

4. Effstrat

Effstrat

I have had it happen a couple of times. Last one was in a 52x32x52 LiteOn Burner. Once the drive was opened and thoroughly cleaned and blown out with commpressed air it was fine. Only damage was to the human nervous system when the thing went "off". More common with cheapo CD blanks. Can't comment on the label issue as I use a marker pen.
    Effstrat

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

I just had to post in this thread. It reminds me of a time a few years back. When a cd fragged in my drive! It was when the 52x cd drives came out. The cd that broke wasnt just any cd it was my original Microsoft Windows 98SE CD. This really ticked me off, but what can you do? Oh well.....

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well... How about 10,400 RPM for 52x drives. :) 1x is 200 RPM. I don't think anyone wants to spin a CD at 27,500 RPM and be in the same room with it. :D

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The CD's included in Cereal Boxes have a dendency to shatter, cleaned out a few of those out of drives last summer.

8. n2gun

n2gun

I have had it happen. The best thing is to replace the drive. Watch the disks for cracks and if cracked do not use them.

9. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

It happens all the time. I work as a phone tech-support for a major manufacturer and I get ALOT of calls about this.
    You guys are right. It is from any imperfection on the disk or the CD label causing the destruction.
    I had a call the other day where the broke and went through the seam on the back of the drive. It continued into the power supply and destroyed a few capasitors and wires.
    And guess what...it isn't covered under warranty because the disk is what caused it!

Man, you guys get pissed when you hear that.

10. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Even a marker can make weaknesses in your CD.
    CD is plastic & markers often contain a thinner that vaporises when used on a surface.
    The thinner can interact with the plastic of the CD.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice