1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disc Read Error - Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by imranq, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

So i'm getting this error msg when I boot up Windows XP

Disc Read Error - Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart. I do it but then it just comes up with that screen again.

I have tried countless of times but it doesn't want to seem to work.

This started happening after a game crash. Of artifacting and overheating and all that. So right now i'm using Ubuntu but it sucks. I hate it. I'm getting artifacts all over the screen. It's driving me insane. I can't seem to go into Windows Safe Mode either like trying to press F8 and all that. Otherwise, I would have tried to do a System Restore.

So does anyone have any solutions? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Imranq...

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi,
    Can Ubuntu see or mount your hard drive?
    Which version of ubuntu are you using?

Rob

3. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Hey rob, no Ubuntu can't mount my drive. And I can't remember which version of Ubuntu I am using either... I would check but now the computer just doesn't want to work on me anymore. When I boot the PC up it will start beeping 4 beeps, the first beep would last 2 seconds then the next three beeps would go faster like 0.5 seconds each beep. (sorry i'm trying to be detailed as much as I can on the beeps). So what can I do? I'm completely buggered on this one.

4. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Bump...

5. Jadran

Jadran

1 long 3 short beeps observed ?

If immediately during boot (on power up) it is a video problem. Video card missing, bad video RAM, video card failure, etc.

6. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Yeah it must be a video card failure then...

7. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

All help will be appreciated.

8. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying, (weekend off pc)

The reason I asked which version of Ubuntu you were using is that it may not recognise sata drives if it is an early version. (if you have a sata drive)

A long shot would be to clean the contacts of your RAM & reseat the modules. (Live versions of Ubuntu run using RAM, so this probably wont be the prob).

Check the ide & power cable are connected properly to the drive & motherboard.

Next, reset the bios, either by shorting the pins on the bios reset jumper, or by removing the battery for a few minutes.

Boot up your computer, & let it load the bios defaults. If your hard drive is a sata drive, make sure sata is enabled in the bios, & that your installed hard drive is set as the first boot device.

If you still get the same Disk read error, your hard drive is probably dead.

If we need to test this, do you have a full windows xp cd?

Rob

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Could you give some system specs on this computer with the problem and make and model along with service pack(s)?

10. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Hey Rob, I don't think i'd be able to do all that atm.. I didn't even understand half of it lol. I'm probably gonna have to wait for my brother to sort something out..

ATI X800 XL Graphics Card (256mb)
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz (2 CPUs)
    1024MB of RAM
    Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
    Direct X 9.0
    Kandalf Super Tower Case

^^ ozrom1e those are my specs.

11. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

My brother is coming for the weekend to have a look at it, but in the meantime does anybody have any other ideas?

12. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Can anyone help? =\

13. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Please guys... =(

14. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Pretty pretty please? With a cherry on top...

15. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Anyone...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/667973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice