1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disc Space Changes Constantly!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Confuzzeled20, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Confuzzeled20

Confuzzeled20 Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,
    I recently got Vista and I am having an issue with disc space. I have noticed that the amount of free disc space changes contantly and it worries me. Earlier this week I had 56 GB free, earlier today I had 51 GB free, then it went to 41 GB now its at 42 GB and I haven't installed anything new. Does anyone know what causes this fluctuation in free disc space. I have done the windows disc cleaner and removed old restore files, etc. This has not corrected the issue of the constant changes.
    Can someone please help me, I am enjoying vista but this is worrying me.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Banner1976

Banner1976

I had the same issue with vista. In my case the amount of free space went from 145G to 98G without installing anything. I did "cleanmgr" and it went back to 145GB.

3. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

This could be a variety of things going on such as system restore / shadow copy / hibernation files / search indexing / etc

To make sure you have nothing sneaky on your computer, install thse programs;
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Ad-aware
    Ccleaner

Some people might tell you to use other programs but they are my favourite. The first 2 removes malicious software from your computer. Ccleaner like what Banner suggested cleans out all the junk on your computer. And these programs are all free

4. Banner1976

Banner1976

Guy from microsoft support told me that it is probably virus issue, so try to scan your OS to check if everything is ok.

5. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

Do a scan and let me know what happens. That is a lot of space. By the way, do you burn DVDs? Sometimes if you don't exit the program properly, it just keeps taking up space on your HD without you knowing it.

Try CCleaner to clean out junk

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice