1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disc Trouble...consistency message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tyke, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tyke

Tyke Thread Starter

On booting up my pc I get the following message before windows can be loaded.....Windows has detected a consistency error on one of your discs. It then recommends I run the check disk utility. Despite doing this a number of times, I continue to get this message..what could be the cause, and how do I rectify the problem?

I am using windows XP.

2. endfro

endfro

Sounds like your HD could be on its last legs.

I would first start backing up the absolute most important stuff to you. Preferably to a CD or a DVD.

Then grab HDTune (www.hdtune.com) and run both the benchmark and the error scan. In the benchmark, if you have a SATA drive you should see aprox 60MB/sec transfer rates. If it is an IDE drive expect more like 30-40MB/sec. What you want to see is a blue line that slowly yet gradually works its way to a slower transfer speed. This is normal. What you DO NOT want to see is the blue line spiking to extremely low transfer rates. When the benchmark is running, please dont be doing anything else on the computer as it will only slow down the transfer rates giving you less of an accurate benchmark. Sometimes spikes are normal, and by that I mean spiking from 60MB/sec down to 40MB/sec and back up to 60MB/sec is normal. Spiking from 60MB/sec down to 1MB/sec back to 60MB/sec is BAD.

If your drive is making some irregular spikes that are slowing down your transfer rate, I would definitely suggest backing up data, and grabbing the UltimateBootCD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) , burning the ISO, booting off of it, and then running your respective HD manufacturers diagnostic software and see whats up.

For reference, chkdsk is a program that will check the platters on your drive for any inconsistencies and errors. If at all possible the computer will fix them, if not, then thats not good. To run a check disk, just go into a command prompt (Start -> Run -> CMD [hit enter]) then type 'chkdsk C: /f' that will run a chkdsk on c: and fix any errors if it can. You can also type 'chkdsk /?' for a list of the syntaxes and what their function is.

3. Tyke

Tyke Thread Starter

I ran the HD Tune utility as requested. The first thing I noticed was a Critical hard disk warning of between 66 and 74 degrees C.The Benchmark test produced a slowly declining line, starting around 63 MB/sec and ending on 35 MB/sec. I have saved the results and can post them if necessary.The error scan is currently 33% complete and has no errors, with green blocks only.

As for backing up my data, I am considering buying an external hard drive for this purpose. Is this a good idea? it seems better than lots of CD's. I have little technical knowledge an wonder if adding the External hard drive via usb connection is a straight forward operation. Will I have to format this new drive, or install anything else to run it on my sysytem?

4. endfro

endfro

Yes sir there is nothing wrong with a external USB drive. Just keep in mind that a hard drive is a hard drive, and moving parts are always more susceptable to damage and failure than something that doesnt move.

The two methods for obtaining a USB external drive are both pretty straight forward. One is just buy one that fits your needs. The other method (my preferred method) is to buy a IDE drive thats capacity fits what you need, and then buy a external IDE enclosure, at the bottom of my post I will link to two of the items I use. Once you get the drive and the enclosure, you throw the hard drive in your computer, format it (so your pc can recognize it when its plugged in via USB), then slap it into the enclosure, and plug it in. Generally this is less expensive but takes some more work.

74C!!! That is hot! Aside from poor cooling I am not sure what could be causing that. You might want to open up the side of your case, and point a tabletop fan right at it (from about 1 foot away) and see if that extra cooling makes a difference on performance.

Heres one of my external drive setups that I bought from newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148139
    (320gb IDE Seagate 7200.10 [perpendicular recording] ATA100 drive)

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817332007
    (AMS Venus external enclosure, with a fan! at the time I bought it the rebate was 29.99, so for $8 that isnt bad)

Really though you can get just about any IDE hard drive to put inside of that enclosure. If 320gb is too much or not enough, I can help you pick something out that more suits your needs. And as a side note, all Seagate drives, OEM or retail have a 5 year, yes thats right, 5 year warranty.

5. Tyke

Tyke Thread Starter

Error scan now 100% completed.....all green....no errors detected.

6. endfro

endfro

You might want to try the slower and more thorough scan if you did not. Also you might want to download the UltimateBootCD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) and burn the ISO to a disc, boot off it, and run the diagnostic software for your respective hard drive manufacturer.

Did you try taking the case side off and getting a tabletop (or standing if you can make it short enough) fan blowing into the case? The heat you are having on your hard drive is definitely a little hot. I am using a laptop right now with the drive located directly beneath the touchpad and it feels HOT! I dont even set my laptop down on paper because of how hot the bottom of the laptop gets, and it's only running at 51C (123F)

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

This error is it at the screen that has the last known good configuration on it?

And is it telling you that the disk is dirty?

8. Tyke

Tyke Thread Starter

endfro.....I intend trying the table top fan as soon as I can get one.Heat could well be an issue but there is plenty of room around the computer, it's not in a tight confined space.

ozrom1e.... I didn't really understand the first part of your comment regarding configuration. I do not think the disk is dirty, and I don't know if it's possible to check...or how...Or what to do about it if it is..if anything.

Confused Tyke.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice