1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconect Internt but keep network connections

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TimPayton, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimPayton

TimPayton Thread Starter

Hello folks - I hope you may be able to help with this.

I have a peer-to-peer network at my office. All machines share the internet connection. I have one XP machine that I use for video editing and other design projects.

I would like to disconnect this machine from the internet so that I can limit use of security software, but I would still like to be able to share files with other machines on the network.
    Is there a way to accomplish this?

Many thanks,
    Tim

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

How are you sharing the internet connection?

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    It probably is possible, but I don't know how. Regardless of whether it is or isn't, it would be very dangerous.
    Look at it this way:
    The internet is just a worldwide collection of networks.
    One or more of your computers is on the Internet.
    One or more of your computers (to a hacker's/virus's viewpoint) is assimulated into the internet--easy access, easy infection
    your XP is on the network hence is on the internet--easy access, easy infection.

Therefore regardless of whether you have managed to deactivate the world wide web, you would still most likely be back on this site in the malware removal section if you turn of security. Hence, even if possible I suspect such action would be unwise.

4. hulkinator

hulkinator

If you were to share the internet by means of a router (which is different than a switch or hub, by the way, and routers are the only wireless devices of the three) you could at least stop running a firewall on the PCs, or the one you are using for video/graphics. Most routers have pretty good built-in firewalls, though it's still a bit risky.

In all honestly I've never had an infection on either my Windows 2000 or Vista computers, and have never run AV or firewall on either (I'm not condoning this!). The big thing is that they are both sitting behind a router- never directly connected to the Internet.

5. huo

huo

Possibly you can shutdown the network services and just fire up some file sharing service like ftp. Or you can define your firewall, it depends what firewall you're using.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

You can assign that system a Static IP and just not define a default gateway. That will give you access to the Local LAN only.

The IP you assign must be outside the range assigned by your DHCP Server, or you can end up with IP Address conflicts.

You could use a startup script to delete the Default Route, but running ipconfig /renew will restore it. Plus, the Default Route will be active until the script runs.

HTH

Jerry

7. TimPayton

TimPayton Thread Starter

Thank you all for your insights - I need to give this some more consideration. The P2P network is behind a firewall and router. I need to learn more about how that works and what modifications I can make to it before making a decision.

t

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!