1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconnect/Reconnect Problems.....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Smurfette, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

I am having some intermittent connectivity issues with my network and I have no idea where to start trouble shooting. It seems that from time to time (several times a day) I will lose my connection to the network momentarily. It only happens for a few seconds and I don't even notice it until my yahoo messenger comes up and starts logging on again. I also will notice it if I'm trying to bring a page up and it will say this page cannot be displayed.

I have a desktop computer and it doesn't do it. I stay on my laptop and it is wireless and I'm connected to the internet with a cable modem. I'm running XP on it. I don't have any idea what other information you need.

Please help before I lose my mind!

Thanks so much,
    Tammy

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

How far are you from your router/access point? Whats your signal strength? Is it any specific time of the day (I.E. are you always getting a phone call as it cuts out?) When you get disconnected are you getting any Wireless network cannot be found errors? Are both your Desktop PC that is okay and your laptop getting their network connectivity from the same unit?

3. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

The router is in the next room. It has been that way for months. This has just been happening for a week or so. My signal strength always says excellent. I never get a phone call when it does this. It doesn't have to be a particular time of day. It does it day or night. I never get any wireless cannot be found errors. Not sure on last question. I have a router but my desktop is not wireless like my laptop. I hope I answered all your questions.

Thanks so much,
    Tammy

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Can you check your event viewer in your Windows XP laptop and see if there is anything going on at the time of your disconnections that may trigger an event of some kind. If you see any correlation post the event here so we can look at it.

If you don't know how to see it then right click on My Computer pick manage and then in there look for the system tools and event viewer.

5. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm not to computer savvy.

Do I post Application, Security, or System?

Thanks, Tammy

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I'ld check system as this is what windows errors occur with. Next I check application and security I usually never check unless I have login problems or need to audit something. Just make note of the time it disconnects and then check you logs to see if you have any corresponding events you can send to us.

7. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

I turned back on the firewall that came with the computer. Could that have anything to do with it? It hasn't done it since. It just might be a coincidence though.

Also, there looks like a shell icon at the bottom. It has a red X through it and when you put your mouse on it, it says "No supported wireless adaptors available in the system." Everything still works though.

Thanks, Tammy

8. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

Ok, forget that scenario, it started up again. lol

Tammy

9. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

Ugh, It gave me a 2 day break and didn't disconnect once. Today, it started again. I added myself to AIM messenger and put my window at the bottom and it tells the times I sign back on. This is when my computer reconnects. It's 5:06 and hasn't done it since 4:52. Sometimes, it does go longer without disconnecting. Anyone know what my problem can be? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee. lol

Thanks, Tammy

signed on at 4:23:22 PM.
    signed on at 4:42:41 PM.
    signed on at 4:46:55 PM.
    signed on at 4:52:35 PM.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a tough problem to isolate, much less solve, Tammy.

I'm thinking maybe intermittent interference, or some problem with the wireless adaptor itself.

The first suspect is a 2.4Ghz cordless phone. If you have one, unplug it and remove the battery to see if the disconnects go away.
    Can you think of anything that may be sending a stray radio signal, maybe something like an Air Conditioner or microwave starting or stopping at the time of disconnects?
    Any new electrical/electronic equipment about the time the troubles started?

Maybe you can leave the laptop nearer the router and/or in a different direction for periods of time to see if the rate of disconnects seems to change.

If there is a problem with the wireless adaptor, I'm guessing it would be heat related. The adaptor gets too warm, cuts out, cools off quickly, reconnects. Can you think of any correlation between the frequency of disconnects and the temperature/humidity level?

What kind of wireless adaptor do you have--integrated, PCMCIA card, USB adaptor? Do you use the adaptor's utility or Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) to manage it?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice