1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disconnected from Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by peat, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peat

peat Thread Starter

I normally connect to the net through the ISP tesco.net and use Outlook Express for mail.
    If I connect with one of the other ISP's that I have used in the past (eg virgin net) , I can get on to the net but when I try to open Outlook Express the connection to the net is cut.
    How/why does this happen, is there any way round it?:confused:

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Start OE. Go to Tools > Options > Connection. There click on Change button. A new window called Internet Proprties will open up. In that go to Connection (that one may be selected by default).

Here you will find three options. Select "Never dial a connection". I think you must have selected "Always dial my default connection".

Even if the option that I told you is selected. Select some thing else. Click on Ok. Then re-open this window and select the option of "Never dial ....". Soem times something in registry changes on its own or some other program changes it. You have to follow this procedure to reset it. :rolleyes:

Hope this solves your problem.

3. peat

peat Thread Starter

Hi AbvAvgUser,
    Tried as you suggested, I was set on "Always dial my default connection"
    I changed to "Never dial... " then did apply and ok and closed the window then reopened and checked "dial whenever a network connection is not present" Then I disconnect from the net (via tesco.net) and connected through virgin.net tried to open OE and was promptly disconnected!
    Could it be that Tesco.net is using Big Brother tactics and causing the disconection?

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I think select the option which says "Never Dial ....". If this doesn't sort out your problem, wait for someone who is more knowledgeable than me. :(

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This problem is likely caused by OE looking for its dialler that has been set in email account properties.
    It is a different connection to that used when you connect via the other ISP. So it disconnects, in order that it can connect to the dial-up thats been specified in the settings.
    Its only doing what its been told to...

I do not use OE, as its too high risk/low security, so cant be exact here, but try Tools - Accounts - Mail - Properties - Connection.

There should be someting there such as "Always connect to this account using"

My guess is that you are going to have to deselect that.
    This may cause the problem of not wanting to connect when IE isn't running, so you may need a manual connect icon on the desktop.

I use ADSL over a Network, so cannot test any of this unfortunately.

6. peat

peat Thread Starter

AbvAvguser - changing the setting to "never..." did not work!
    Kiwiguy - Damned if I can find a "Always connect to this account using" to deselect, although it does sound familiar!

Thanks for your help although its really not that critical as I only have alternate ISPs for emergency use - if my main ISP were to go down- and it is only OE that appears to be affected, I can still get internet access.
    Cheers
    Peat

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have checked the issue on another PC, and its definitely there.

What have you got in OE - Tools - Accounts - Mail ?

If the window is empty, then that also could be the problem. You need to specify the connection its meant to use.

If its not empty, then Properties gives all the options.

8. peat

peat Thread Starter

Knew I'd seen it somewhere - however, the "Always connect to this account using" box is and was always unchecked! So thats not the solution!

9. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

What happens if you first start OE and then establich a connection to the new ISP? Does that work fine?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice