1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconnected Network between XP/Windows7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by laury, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laury

laury Thread Starter

We have a network drive for shared files set up on a Windows 7 desktop in our offices. I'm on a Windows XP (SP3) desktop and connect to it. We have a ubee DDW365 modem and Belkin router. We have wireless turned off and connect through cables plugged into the back of the router.

Every week or so, I get a message the the shared drive is disconnected. We have to restart the Windows 7 desktop and then the connection returns. This sometimes occurs when no one is in the office, and sometimes when I'm in the middle of working on a file. Seems quite random in timing. Oh, and my internet connection does not get lost, just the connection to the shared drive.

I'm looking for ideas on why this is happening and how we can stop it. I'm not terribly techie, so detailed help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

In the Power Settings is the drive set to sleep after a certain amount of time? If it is try clicking Never.

3. laury

laury Thread Starter

Can you tell me how to get to the power settings of a drive so I can check?

4. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

5. laury

laury Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I won't be able to access the Windows 7 computer until next Thursday, but I will check it then. I found it on my XP, and it's always on there.

6. laury

laury Thread Starter

The windows 7 was set to always on as well, so that wasn't the problem. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

7. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Is it an external Hard drive or in a computer? Have you tried changing the wires?

8. laury

laury Thread Starter

It's in a desktop computer. Do you mean the cables that connect the computers to the router?

9. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

And the cables between the drive and the motherboard.

10. laury

laury Thread Starter

We're just a small office with 2 computers so we don't have any extra cables to swap out to see.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice