1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconnected/reconnected monitor. Now no sound from speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mdm5382, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdm5382

mdm5382 Thread Starter

Hey so, I disconnected my desktop monitor from my tower and reconnected it to my work computer as I was working from home today. Finished work and fast forward and reconnect my monitor to my desktop and I can't hear anything from my external speakers. I'm not using the speakers on the monitor as I'm connected using a DVI cable. Can't hear any sound on Youtube or Facebook. BUT, if I go to the sound settings and then manage audio devices and test my speakers, they are definitely making distinctive test pings. I even placed my hands on both speakers and I can feel the test jingle as well as hear it. I have tried disabling and re-enabling the speakers in my sound settings. Still no luck!

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

2. LIS333

LIS333

Have you checked to make sure the volume settings within the applications are turned on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mdm5382

mdm5382 Thread Starter

Yeahhh...I did the usual checks too. Sound on applications is on, speakers knobs are turned up and the pc speaker is on as well

4. mdm5382

mdm5382 Thread Starter

Fixed it! In my sound settings I had speakers selected, when I really needed headphones selected. I don't know why it's categorizing my speakers as headphones but at least it works now. It was literally a two click fix! WTF lol

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!