1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconnecting and Reconnecting randomly ..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yichen211, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yichen211

yichen211 Thread Starter

Actually i've tried alot of solution to solve the problem .. but as in the title above .. im still facing the same problem ..
    the modem router is connecting with the desktop (XP) and my laptop is connecting using wifi .. whenever the desktop is disconnecting , my laptop disconnected also ..
    when i try to ping www.google.com.my .. it works fine for a period .. but when the problem is occured, it shows request timed out and a moment later it will shows reply from 192.168.1.1 : destination host unreachable .. and the DSL and internet light will disappear .. this really irritating me for a few days already .. and sorry for the bad english ..

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

Well based on the info - you have a cable connected and a wireless - both disconnect
    and the lights on the Modem/router DSL and Internet go out

then its a Modem/Router - Line - ISP issue and very unlikely to be a PC or wireless issue

the dsl light shows if the line has been enabled , and the fact thats is going out means we need to check - the router , the wiring, line and ISP

have you asked the ISP to do a line test at all ?

how frequently does it disconnect ?

What else is connected to the telephone sockets - do you have extensions - do all the sockets with equipment connected have an DSL filter (or in some contries - this is part of the main socket )

I would remove everything off the telephone sockets - so ALL you have left is the modem/router and the filter, if applicable , connected to the master telephone socket in the premises.
    Now see if it disconnects

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

whiteowl2002 if you read the OP you will see they are saying a cable connection is disconnecting - so wireless interference may not be the issue

5. yichen211

yichen211 Thread Starter

there are few technicians came and checked before .. they said the connection is good .. can reach the speed that i want .. but the only problem is sometimes it's dropped randomly and continuosly .. sometimes it occured in the afternoon sometimes will be in midnight .. i've tried all the way i can to solve the problem but still cant solved it .. i using direct connection from the wall socket to the modem router without using spliter .. whenever it's OK .. then should be no problem .. but whenever it's started to disconnecting and reconnecting , it can be non-stop .. cable to desktop .. wifi for laptop .. all drop .. even handphone ..

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

is the handphone a standard connection to the telephone socket or part of the broadband package voice over IP ?

7. yichen211

yichen211 Thread Starter

handphone connecting using wifi ..

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

make an model of the modem
    with a cable from wall socket to the modem and then to a PC - does that disconnect at all
    Please make a note of the status of the lights on the modem when working normally - post that light status here.
    Now when the internet disconnects make a note of the status of the lights for the modem here again. also note which have changed.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084255