1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconnecting on One Computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Devilz, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devilz

Devilz Thread Starter

This only happens with one of my computers and the router isn't the problem (I've tried connecting without it and the problem is still there.) I will disconnect often (at random times) but this will not happen with any of the other computers that I connect to the modem. I can't figure out what the problem is, it's only started happening a few days ago. The computer uses Windows XP SP2 and I've been using it for a few years now.

Help is appreciated.

2. s.haulk

s.haulk

Try this. Click on start>run>type cmd>click okay>type netsh winsock reset catalog. If you do it correctly it will say that is was a success. Now try to connect again. Also is your email working and can you ping out?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Perhaps the cable or your NIC is failing. Or there may be a software problem.

Try Safe Mode with Networking and see if the disconnects still happen.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    s.haulk has a good idea, and here is the complete repair ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. s.haulk

s.haulk

As an ISP tech I was taught that this command line was for SP1 only but that could be wrong. The employer that I worked for depended on network engineers and us techs to create its troubleshooting guides.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The ISP tech training is wrong! Those two commands are the proper reset for SP2/SP3, and NOT for SP1.

7. Devilz

Devilz Thread Starter

The solutions aren't working, any other suggestions?

8. s.haulk

s.haulk

Make sure that it is cabled correctly. By that I mean if only one router then all lan ports should be using patch cables and not crossover. Crossover cables should only be used when networking more than one device together. I have heard that it doesn't matter if you use a patch or a crossover for the connection from the device to the computer but I am curious to know if that theory has a hole in it or not. Check on the Cat5e (ethernet) cable and it should have printed on it either patch or crossover.

Also check with your ISP to make sure that their network hasn't limited you to a certain amount of computers. When I worked for in tech support for this one ISP the user had to call in the MAC address of each connecting computer so that they knew how many was on their network.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Cross-over cables are needed when connecting like devices (e.g., 2 switches or 2 computers) unless at least one port is auto-sensing.

Depends on what the other device is (see previous paragraph) and whether either has an auto-sensing port. Patch cables are for unlike devices (e.g., modem and computer).

10. Devilz

Devilz Thread Starter

Nothing seems to be working. I've tried using wireless instead of NIC, and formatted my computer the other day (that didn't work) and then tried plugging the modem directly to my computer without using a router, and switched the cables, but that failed.

When I disconnect, it brings down the connection of the other two computers on the network too. But like I said, it only disconnects on that one computer.

What kind of messed up problem is this?

11. s.haulk

s.haulk

Check to make sure that your windows automatic update didn't automatically download and install SP3 for you. If it did this will show in the computer properties. It will all be listed in your add/remove programs as Service Pack 3. If it is there try uninstalling it and see if that helps at all with anything.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice