1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconnecting the Display Cable on an old laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weegeeweeg, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weegeeweeg

weegeeweeg Thread Starter

I have an old Dell Latitude D520 that runs smoothly except for its heating issue. Its thermal paste is ~12 years old at this point, so I bought some new stuff. I disassembled the laptop according to the manual up to the point where it says "Disconnect the display cable." Unfortunately, the manual doesn't actually show how to do this, and I don't want to mess up the display. I have multiple pictures to show where I'm at.
    This is what it looks like with the keyboard removed.
    The manual doesn't directly say that you need to take the whole thing apart, which is good. But as you can see, it doesn't specify how you can take the display cord out temporarily and it's like hardwired to the connector on the system board. Close-up.

Could anyone more knowledgeable than me about this kind of thing point out what I need to do exactly in order to disconnect this thing without breaking it?

2. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    It's an LIF connection so it should be fairly easily to detach the connector: use your finger nail to carefully pry the connector off the socket, or use a small prying tool if you're really afraid of breaking it. Just don't pull the cable and it should be fine.

I've taken apart and reassembled 100+ laptops before and a lot of them use similar LIF connections, they're just as easy to pry off.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Just pull the blue label on top of the connector straight up and it should pop off.

4. weegeeweeg

weegeeweeg Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys! I knew it would be simple, but I just wanted to be cautious. I managed to re-paste the CPU without destroying it. I tested the temperatures and there's a big difference. I also put an SSD in place of the old 5400rpm hard drive, and it boots in 25 seconds (old hard drive booted in 51). Looking forward to using it again!

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Sounds good. I really like it when someone puts new life into older hardware. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice