1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconnects after an idle period - router and cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kettir, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kettir

kettir Thread Starter

Router: D-Link DI-604
    provider: local cable service with Roadrunner

We were using an ethernet hub and network, and everything was fine. Then for security purposes we got a D-Link DI-604 router and installed it. Everything worked OK out of the box, we upgraded the firmware, etc. THEN--we find that if the computer sits idle for a while, it can no longer connect to the cable modem service. Rebooting the computer is the only thing that reconnects mine; we can reconnect another computer by trying to hit a website, selecting "work offline", then trying again and getting an option of "reconnect?" and if you select Yes, then everything works on that PC again (I never get that option on mine though.)

Note that if I'm downloading from binaries for an hour or more, no disconnect even though I give no keyboard input etc. This indicates to me that there's a software idle timeout somewhere along the line, and not a hardware problem.

Rebooting is NOT a good option as I have programs that call out while I'm at work and do various things and they can hardly reboot my PC! I contacted D-link and the tech guy had me change the MTU from 1500 to 1492 and claimed that would solve this problem but it's still happening.

Below I am listing everything I can think of in the way of settings that might give a clue to anyone who can suggest a fix. This is really ticking me off. Before this, I could run my PC a week at a time without rebooting. Now I have to reboot every time I come back after it's been idle! This is not good.

Here are the settings--I sure hope someone here can give some advice.

ethernet cards - Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    router - D-link DI-604 firmware version 2.18 (latest version)
    provider - Roadrunner through our local Ohio cable Co.
    All PCs are running Windows XP home version
    Zonealarm free version is being used as the firewall, the router firewall is not being used

These are the settings showing on the control panels of the router software:
    WAN settings:
    dynamic IP address selected
    Host name DI-604
    Mac address matches that on the router bottom
    primary DNS address is blank
    secondary DNS address is blank
    MTU is 1492 (this was 1500, the tech at Dlink had me change it to 1492 and said this "would solve my problem" although he couldn't seem to tell me what this setting does)

DHCP tab
    DHCP server enabled
    we have a starting and ending IP address
    lease time is a week (standard for roadrunner)
    DHCP client table shows the PCs currently booted

SETTINGS UNDER LOCAL AREA NETWORK:

client for microsoft networks - windows locator

file and printer sharing for microsoft networks - on

qos packet scheduler - off

netbeui protocol - on

internet protocol (tcp/ip) - on

SETTINGS FOR TCP/IP:

GENERAL
    obtain ip address automatically - on
    obtain dns server address automatically - on
    GENERAL ADVANCED SETTINGS
    IP SETTINGS
    dhcp enabled
    default gateways - none showing
    automatic metric - on
    DNS
    no dns server addresses listed
    append primary and connection specific dns suffixes - on
    append parent sufixes of the primary dns suffix - on
    no dns suffixes listed in the box provided
    register this connection's addresses in dns - on
    WINS
    no wins addresses listed in box
    enable lmhosts lookup - on
    netbios setting - enable netbios over tcp/ip
    OPTIONS
    optional settings: tcp/ip filtering listed - under properties Permit All is checked for TCP ports, UDP ports, and IP protocols

Alternate configurations (under tcp/ip properties) - automatic private ip addressed selected

AUTHENTICATION
    enable ieee 802.1x authentication for this network - on
    eap type - smart card or other certificate
    authenticate as computer when computer information is available - on
    authenticate as guest - off

internet connection firewall - off (this is the built in xp firewall)

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there kettir...

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

Just a few questions...

When you loose the Internet connection, can you still ping the other pc's on the Network ?

And, is there a specific amount of idle time that goes by when the connection is dropped ?

3. kettir

kettir Thread Starter

>When you loose the Internet connection, can you still ping the
    >other pc's on the Network ?

>And, is there a specific amount of idle time that goes by when
    >the connection is dropped ?

Good question. I'm planning to run some tests; first see if an hour causes disconnect, then half hour, and so on to track down just how much time actually causes a disconnect.

I haven't tested trying to reach the other PCs on the network. That's a very good suggestion and I'll add that into the test.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok, let us know the results...

Another thing I'm curious about is...

I don't have a D-kink router or Roadrunner, ( different router, and cable ISP ) but in my router that section is blank, so I don't know if that will cause a problem or not...

5. Del

Del

The computer that drops the connection, go to Setting and Control Panel, check your power settings or power options.
    Make sure it's not set to power down your hard drive, if it is, change it to Never. When you hard drive powers down, it drops the power to your NIC and it drops the connection.

6. kettir

kettir Thread Starter

>The computer that drops the connection, go to Setting and
    >Control Panel, check your power settings or power options.
    >Make sure it's not set to power down your hard drive, if it is,
    >change it to Never. When you hard drive powers down, it drops
    >the power to your NIC and it drops the connection.

I'm pretty certain it's not that. No changes were made to the power settings/options between when we were using an ehernet hub and when we started using the D-Link, and with the ethernet hub we didn't have any connection drops.

D-Link authorized us to return the router and we got another, which is also doing the same thing--leaveit for a while and it will no longer connect to the internet. D-Link's latest advice, today, was to switch our settings from "autosense" to 10-base T full duplex. We're waiting to see what difference that makes.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/135806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice