1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disconnects -- PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bdimag, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdimag

bdimag Thread Starter

I have a problem and im not sure whats happening, but every 10 to 20 minutes i get disconnected from the internet! I looked through all the settings to and un checked all the idle disconnect options but it still happens, even if im in the middle of doing something like browsing the web or whatever...

but when im downloading something, it does stay on.

Could this be a problem with my ISP or a virus maybe?

Please help! its really annoying!

oh, and even though im on a 56k modem, the most ive ever connected at was 29,333 kbps, Im pretty sure thats because of the phone lines.. but am i wrong?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Brian
    A very high percentage of time your ISP is the culprit that is kicking you off the Internet. When you are downloading, a high degree of activity is taking place and your priority to stay connected will be higher since most ISP's do not want to mess-up downloads since they may not be restartable. Anyway you may want to check with your ISP and see if they have instituded any rules for disconnect lately that you are not aware of.
    Dave

3. bdimag

bdimag Thread Starter

Thanks, Ill look into that.

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Which ISPs have you worked for, Davey? It's unfortunate that those companies had such policies, but the ones I've worked with and that friends have worked for do not have such policies.

ISPs are not evil ogres that randomly disconnect paying customers from the internet just for kicks.

theoneandonlybd, do you have call waiting? If so, you need to disable it before connecting to the internet. Do you leave your computer connected to the internet while you're not actively using it? You'll definitely be disconnected then so that other paying customers can use the bandwidth that you're not using.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Max
    Sorry you took the post as ISP's being evil ogre's. That is not my intention to reflect that image of ISP's. If Brian is a paid customer of an ISP he has a legitimate complaint about being kicked off.
    However we do not know if he is a paying customer or using a free service such as JUNO. Second he said it happens only when browsing so that could indicate idle time which makes him eligible for disconnect, but how quickly? Call waiting will affect a download as well as it will affect browsing. If he is reading a webpage and gets kicked off in short order don't you think he should contact his ISP and find out why?
    Dave

6. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

I would suggest calling the ISP to verify that all the settings are correct. Just don't assume the problem is at their end. Work together to find out the problem. It could be your computer, your phone line, your software, or any number of things.

7. bdimag

bdimag Thread Starter

my ISP is earthlink..

and it seems to stay online when i browse on my moms computer

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Brian
    There is a setting if I recall In Internet Explorer that sets a time that unit should disconnect after being idle, click on Tools\Internet options\Connections tab\Settings\Advanced and uncheck if it is chacked" Disconnect if idle more that
    xx minutes ". Other then that I would do as Max suggested and contact Earthlink and work with them to Identify and resolve this issue. They will have a better understanding on how there server software interacts with your computer/Modem.
    Dave

9. bdimag

bdimag Thread Starter

Actually, I could be in the middle of downloading a site and it would disconnect me.. Ive even been disconnected right as a get connected!

I did uncheck the idle disconnect options but from what i saw, it would ask if you wanted to be disconnected first.

Ill let you know how it works out!

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Sounds good Brian. The next step would probably be contacting Earthlink if the above did not correct it.
    Keep us posted either way.
    Dave

11. bdimag

bdimag Thread Starter

Well, no reply from earthlink yet, but I just found out that Roadrunner, which ive been trying to get for a while, is no available in my area, so were getting that and i wont have to deal with slow connections and disconnects..:D

Thanks for the help!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice