Solved Discover you are hacked?

awm54gl

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200528120241.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 450 GB (305 GB Free); D: 24 GB (23 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n MP1EYYPW
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n MP1EYYPW
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
McAfee Total Protection, Malwarebytes are running also.
Where does one look to verify if hacked or not.
Netgear support was trying to get me to buy another firewall to protect entire network. He ran some list of 30 to 40 lines of addresses that broke into my system, supposedly.
I told him he was incorrect in his assumption and I would take care of it. So I turn to you for some pointers before I purchase somebodies software that might or might not work.

Where does one look to verify if hacked or not.
If you have valuable things on your computer such as steam account, credit card purchases, important online accounts (ex. facebook, bank account etc.) or anything involving cash or sensitive personal information and you notice at least one of these things start missing or distorting then you know you have been hacked for real.

Otherwise if you notice frequent and sudden bandwidth drop with no real explanation why and no confirmation from ISP then you can assume your computer is used by somebody to do what ever their plan is.

If you notice your computer was slowed down by fixed amount of CPU resources, with no real explanation why then your computer might have been infected with a coin miner.

Otherwise if you're just being spammed with random offers via phone, emails etc. then you know you have not been careful with your personal information and should start working on that.

In almost all other cases you're are most likely fine!

awm54gl

If you have valuable things on your computer such as steam account, credit card purchases, important online accounts (ex. facebook, bank account etc.) or anything involving cash or sensitive personal information and you notice at least one of these things start missing or distorting then you know you have been hacked for real.

Otherwise if you notice frequent and sudden bandwidth drop with no real explanation why and no confirmation from ISP then you can assume your computer is used by somebody to do what ever their plan is.

If you notice your computer was slowed down by fixed amount of CPU resources, with no real explanation why then your computer might have been infected with a coin miner.

Otherwise if you're just being spammed with random offers via phone, emails etc. then you know you have not been careful with your personal information and should start working on that.

In almost all other cases you're are most likely fine!
thank you. netgear tech sounded fishy. I have this system walled at 3 levels. modem, router and pc(itself).
your information was easy to read and understand. that in itself is amazing.
take care
awm54gl

Couriant

James
I am wondering if it is someone else posing as Netgear? you didn't answer my question if you called them (from the number on netgear's website) or if they called/emailed you. Netgear is a well known company and do not call cold home users.

If you called them where did you get the number from it may not be legit if you got the phone number from a sketchy place

awm54gl

If you called them where did you get the number from it may not be legit if you got the phone number from a sketchy place
Actually, I got the number off the back of the router and matched it to the invoice from it's purchase and finally went to Netgear website. now anyone of those could be fake, if so Netgear is losing out on actual customer contact. Odds are it's a real number.

Couriant

James
If you went to their site then it should be legitimate... i'm not sure why they did all that... seems out of their scope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online