disfunctional external enclosure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A-13

I have an acomdata USB 3.5" IDE HD enclosure which used to work just fine but now has a problem.
I've put a Western Digital 40gig and 160gig inside, both have the same issue. OS X tells me that the drive must be initialized, but when I try to do so in disk utility, the program locks up. I've successfully formatted the drive using the OS X DVD, as well as using a windows machine, but the fix never lasted longer than a week.
The problems started occurring after I did a secure erase of the drives. I didn't know just what I was doing, but it doesn't make sense that a secure erase would render the drive unusable...plus, the drives work just fine in a different enclosure.
So right now OS X wants me to initialize, and in disk utility the drive shows up as having vastly incorrect storage sizes (I wish the drive was actually 1.3 TB!). I've tried to initialize through windows XP, but when I click initialize, absolutely nothing happens.
This seems to be a problem with the enclosure, since the drives functioned normally in a different enclosure.

Any advice?

Powerbook G4 1.67GHz
OS X 10.4.3

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online