1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disintegrating Icon Associations??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Writenow, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

To my surprise, some of the icons - the little favicon sized ones in Explorer - have been changed. This seems to be happening periodically. One day I noticed that a PIM I use was displaying the MS generic icons in its open dialog box. A couple of days ago, I noticed another PIM was also showing generic icons. I hadn't opened that one for a very long time so I don't know how long they've been corrupted. Today, looking through files in Explorer I saw that the file type icons for Textmaker, a word processor, had been replaced by an icon I don't recognize. A colorful circle thing. The icon for the .exe file itself is correct, both in Explorer and in Folder options. It's the associated files that have the odd icons.

I've gone to Folder Options and tried to fix it. If I try to change the icon, it shows it has changed in the Folder Options dialog but nothing changes in Explorer. The Folder Options dialog APPLY button is ALWAYS greyed out.

Before you ask: Yes I run virus checks, malware and spyware checks, firewall in place, etc., etc.

My question is, what exactly is my problem? A file association problem? A permissions problem? Something else? Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Running XP Home, SP2

Thanks.

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Settings tab change the Color Quality from 32 bit ro 16 bit, click Apply/OK. Now go back and change the Color Quality from 16 bit to 32 bit, click Apply/OK. This will rebuild the iconcache.db file and may correct the problem.

Tufenuf

3. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

I will try what you suggested but I am very doubtful. All my other icons and displays are fine. I am very disturbed by the fact that the Apply button in file associations is not accessible. Can you help me with that?

Thanks for answering.

4. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Well, that was ugly ;)

Wanna try something else? That did nothing but give me a few bad (Easter) moments.

5. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

6. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

OK. I'm thinking this over. Will doing this destroy my carefully built and positioned desktop icons? Will it destroy all the carefully designed folder icons in Explorer? If so - maybe it just isn't worth it. And, it doesn't really fix whatever is causing the problem. And, I still have the issue with Folder Options.

Please don't think me ungrateful I appreciate your help.

7. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Writenow, I really couldn't say if it would all the carefully designed folder icons in Explorer. As far as the Folder Options Apply button being greyed out are you saying that it's always greyed out under all of the tabs even if you make a change in say under the View tab?

Tufenuf

8. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Thanks again. sorry, I have to leave in a few minutes.

I checked on the button situation. To answer your question: No, only on the File Types tab. However, I see that it's only the files that have been corrupted that have the Apply button greyed out, and on one of them, I now do not have access to the Advanced button at all. When I get home, I will try changing a couple other icons and see what happens and if the apply button disappears again.

Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice