Disk 100%

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alexm501

Basically my disk on my Asus laptop running Windows 10 has been at 100% or above 90% most of the day. The majority of the usage is from the system. I have defragmented it and it's on automatic defragmenting. I won't turn it on again for more specifications because of how bad it is so I will only do what is recommended for now. Model number is Q504U. I tried getting into the boot menu but I didn't know how to do an HDD scan. I use my laptop for college so I use it quite frequently. It's not even a year old. If someone wants more specifications needed from turning it on that is fine, just ask. Should I try going back an update?

You should get the free trial of http://www.hdtune.com 's pro utility and run it to see if your drive is failing. Go to the health tab in HDTune and, if the data column for (05) Reallocated sectors or (C5) Current pending sectors is anything but zero, that is your problem!
A sneaky, hidden fact about hard disk drives is that they are seven times more fragile than a raw egg when they are running and even the slightest bump can hurt them badly.

Oddba11

Jim
There are numerous reasons why HDD activity would be at 100%. Some legitimate and some not.

Have you checked Task Manager to see what's running?

Alexm501

I got it down to 50-60% for now but I'm not sure how long it'll last. Yes I've checked task manager and I have plenty of storage left too. When it was at 100% it was the "system" taking it up with spikes above 20MB/s. Right now between 50-60% it is windows explorer but I believe that is because I'm moving everything to my external hard drive. Still seems quite high though. Skype sometimes comes up but I will end that. It's alot different than yesterday multiple programs keep switching I keep having to pause. It is better than yesterday, but still worried. I do carry it in a backpack most days and it does get moved around a lot

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Oddba11

Jim
Any software accessing the drive increases the activity. HDD activity, in itself, is not an indication of a hardware fault. Several Windows services (such as drive indexing) can cause high disk activity. There have also been several bugs related to Windows and Windows Update which can cause high disk activity.

Alexm501

Yes that is understood I'm just backing up my data in case I needed to do a restore to a previous update. With my external plugged in it mysteriously has gone down to 37% at the lowest and it's staying below 60% for the most part. When I turned it back on an hour ago it was at 100%. When i was not using the external it was the system and service host using the majority. If it continues after transferring my data would it be recommended to go back an update? It could be a bug as you said with the update.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online