1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Activity Light ALWAYS blinking

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by websquad, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. websquad

websquad Thread Starter

I have a new (two-week-old) XP/Pro machine with a hard drive activity light that seems to blink (indicating disk activity) at random intervals about every half second. And this occurs even if I've been away from the machine for a couple of hours.

1) I've check both my program/system drive array (RAID-1) and data array (also RAID-1) and both do not have "Allow Indexing Service to index..." checked.

2) The top CPU users are
    - System Idle Process ... usually 99%
    - nScIp.exe
    - nSvcAppFlt.exe
    - upsd.exe ... I suspect this is polling my UPS
    - Task manager
    - explorer.exe

3) The System Overview Properties indicate there are some logs:
    \Memory\Pages/sec
    \PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Queue Lenght
    \Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time

Apparently these are updated every 15 seconds
    ... but I suspect these operations use cache and should not be responsible for the I/O

4) There are no shares with other systems

5) I did some searches on nScIp.exe. I am not, so far as I know, running an nVidia firewall. I am running Norton Internet Security 2008.

Any ideas?

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. websquad

websquad Thread Starter

DiskMon really didn't tell me anything. It indicated that is was doing the IO on drive 0, which I assume is my RAID-1 system/program array. But it didn't tell me what program(s) were doing the IO.

So I did some Google searching and came up with FileMon, from www.sysinternals.com. It tells me what process is doing the activity, the type of request (open, close, query informaiton, read, write, directory), the result (Success, path not found, not found, buffer overflow, end of file, no more files)

At 5:26:25 I cleared out everythine and stared with a clean display.

At 5:32:25 I had 2,025 file operations in the 6 minute interval (5.63 / second).

I had already stopped the processes for Mozy on-line backup. During the 6 minute period I found these processes:

upsd.exe:2340 ... Something to do with my Belkin BUlldog Plus UPS backup software
    ccSvcHst.exe:288 ... Norton Internet Security 2008
    explorer.exe:1236
    UltraMonTaskbar:716 ... I have dual monitors and use Ultramon for the extended taskbar
    notepad.exe:3840 ... I'm drafting this post using notepad
    csrss.exe:1312 ... part of Windows/XP, but my source indicated it could be a virus (say it ain't so on my 2-week-old computer) and pointed me to an instant scan that found nearly 500 registery errors, but would only fix 15 without a payment of $30 ... yikes ....
    taskmgr.exe: 2240 ... I did have a copy of Windows Task Manager open but reduced to the taskbar

... and the list goes on.

Should I be concerned about this stuff, or just thankful that my system drive is a pair of 10,000 rpm drives that probably give the the second best disk performance I can hope for (without going to 15,000 rpm drives or solid state)?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice