1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disk boot errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tiedyeguy64, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64 Thread Starter

I have been having problems with a machine I built from spare parts for my sister. After about a year of faithful service, she suddenly got a 'disk boot failure' message. I checked all cables, etc. everything was fine. I installed a known good drive, and it still would not work. I tried the existing drive in another machine - it worked fine.So I changed the motherboard.

About a month later - 'disk boot failure'! Again, I tried a good drive - same result. This time is switched out the board, processor, memory and installed a new drive. Reinstalled Win95 osr2.5. Everything was fine. Until amonth or so later - 'disk boot failure'!

I ran wd diagnostics on the new drive - everything was fine. The drive worked in other machines w/o a problem. I disassembled & reassembled the machine, and reinstalled the os again.
    A month later, I again have a 'boot disk failure'!

This machine is driving me crazy! Anyone have any suggestions as to what to look at? I don't even know where to go in my library of manuals for this one!

I would have suspected some type of worm/virus, but none has been found by antiviral software, plus I've basically changed all of the hardware!

Any help / suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

2. markshark09

markshark09

umm... the cable that connects the motherboard to the drive may be broken try replacing that

3. tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion - I do have a habit of reusing the older cables when switching the motherboard; its easier than opening the packet of new cables. I'll do that.

Since I posted, however, my sister called - now the machine is working 'sometimes'! When she turns it on, she gets either a working computer, or a single beep POST code: Award Bios = RAM problem! I have stack of RAM I can put in...I just hope its not a bad connector!

Anyone know if bad RAM cause a 'boot disk failure' message? Or are there two problems here?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice