1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disk boot failure after removing grub-loader

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by RedHat, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RedHat

RedHat Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am not quite sure whether i should post this here or in the windows section, but i'll give it a try here.

See, the thing is: a few days ago my pc crashed and after some testing i came to the conclusion that one of my hard drives crashed.
    On that drive the grub-loader and linux ubuntu 7.04 was installed, I have another drive on which windows xp sp3 was installed.
    So after the drive crashed the grub-menu was gone as well. and when i started my pc i got: grub error 21 stage 1.5.
    I put my ubuntu live-cd in the dvd-drive and started ubuntu, with the help of my brother i tried to install the grub-loader onto the drive on which windows xp was installed.
    after typing some things in the terminal(my brother told me what to type) it seemed to have worked. So i restarted the pc i got a disk boot failure:confused:
    looks like my pc can't find any OS at all!!

I have also searched this site(and some other) for a solution and found the commands:
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    setup (hd0)
    but when i type in:
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    it says that it cannot be found
    please help me and keep in mind i'm a total noob when it comes down to linux.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi RedHat,

It does not sound like a hard disk failure to me, but in the process of the failure it sounds like the MBR for the Windows drive may have gotten mangled.

Do you know for sure whether the Grub boot loader was installed on the Linux drive or on the Windows drive? Depending on which it would target the MBR that needs to be reconstructed or restored.

Can you use the Live CD, and issue the command:
    # fdisk -l
    (as root) or
    $ sudo fdisk -l
    and copy all of the output into this thread in a followon message?

Also, you might copy and list the menu.lst file contents separately as by using a Live CD you should be able to mount and look at the files on either disk.

I have a thread in this forum that describes how to save the MBRs of both drives in separate files, and restore them with the dd command - so, if this ever happens again, you can figure out which MBR got mangled and restore it.

In the meantime, you might locate a thread started by user saikee here in this forum and consult the links in his signature for information on Grub.

-- Tom

3. RedHat

RedHat Thread Starter

Thx for the quick reply, but i solved the problem by putting my windows cd in the pc and recovered the mbr.

thx for the tip on saving my MBR, it will be really helpfull in the future!

-Ben.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice