1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk boot failure and the missing hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by charlieboy, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlieboy

charlieboy Thread Starter

Hi there!. I was wandering if anyone could help me out. I am running XP pro and although i recently updated with SP2 the PC appeared to be ok. Now when i try to boot up i get DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. If i put my operating disk in it loads the various files and proceeds to windows setup if i chose to set up windows XP now ie re -install the whole system it goes to the licence agreement then to the windows xp professional setup offering options either to set up windows on the selected item or create a partition or delete the partition . Most imporantly in the box below it states 57240 mb disk o at Id on bus 0 on atapi and underneath <setup cannot access this disk> which is worrying. In the bios it appears to be able to detect the fact that there is a hard disk drive available. If i do press enter at this stage a darker blue screen appears stating that a problem has been detected and that windown has shut down to prevent damage. It then goes on to suggest things that are not possible ie boot into safe mode ofr update or disable drivers it gives the following technical information which for me as a beginner is as much use as a wooden eye. It say ***STOP: 0XOOOOOOO8e (OXCOOOOOO5,OXF99C6CFD, OXF95 A5800, 0X00000000)
    *** Setupdd.sys- adrress F999C6FD base at f999d000, datestamp 3d6dd67f
    whatever that means
    If there is anyone who can help i would appreciate it. I assume the hard drive is ok and the connections are too.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Moved to Windows. This is not a business applications issue. Good luck!

3. TheWeaselBoy

TheWeaselBoy

What is the first device you have listed in the bios? Try moving the Hard drive to the top of the list and see if it lets you boot then.

If not, i think a good chkdsk should fix it, but how to run chkdsk with a non booting hdd?

I am assuming that you have a working pc you can use, otherwise you wouldnt have posted :) which is good.
    IF you have a windows xp cd with sp1 installed, you can try this:

Try this: Go to nu2.nu and download barts PE builder http://nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=pebuilder3032.zip <- download here
    Install it on a working machine, and fire it up. Put your XP cd in the drive and at the first screen direct it to the cd drive. If it says the source is not valid, then this idea wont work for you unless you can find another copy of xp with a valid source.

If you have gotten this far, then your in the clear. Make sure chkdsk is marked as "yes" and click thru to create the iso.

Burn the iso to cd and boot your machine off of it. Once you get to the desktop, you should be able to run chkdsk on the machine.

If this doesnt work, i have just wasted your time an need to think about it some more :)

****this just in****
    i havent used this yet, but it looks promising: http://www.911cd.net/911disks/rescue_soft/index.html

4. charlieboy

charlieboy Thread Starter

thanks for that i will give it a go and let you know

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice