1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Disk boot failure" error cured by unplugging keyboard!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by polperro, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. polperro

polperro Thread Starter

Hi.
    I sometimes get the "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press Enter" error message when booting, but if I unplug my Logitech PS2 keyboard it boots up as if nothing was ever wrong. I can then usually plug the keyboard in as I reboot the PC and it works fine.
    But there is obviously something wrong here! It's as if the fact that the keyboard is attached to the PC makes the PC think that there is no hard disk in the PC.
    There are no flags in Device Manager and everything is identified correctly, as far as I can tell.
    Anyone have any idea what the cause of this strange error message is?

I'm running XP SP2, and it's a Seagate 320 gig HD.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks for reading this, and if you need more info, just ask.

2. unbidden

unbidden

Just a couple of thoughts:

Check the BIOS and be sure your hard drive is correctly identified.

Run chkdsk /r

Sounds crazy, but change your motherboard battery.

3. polperro

polperro Thread Starter

Thanks for your input.
    I've checked the BIOS and the hard drive is identified correctly. I've also done checkdisk and it reported no errors.
    The PC is only a few months old, do you really think the motherboard battery could need replacing? I've never had to do that before and one of my other PCs is almost old enough to be in a museum!

4. unbidden

unbidden

Being a new pc, I doubt its the battery, however the mobo and or battery could have been sitting around a while. You can buy a battery at your local pharmacy for $4.00.

More thoughts:

If you have a sata hard drive, check for a driver update.

Look for a logitec keyboard updated driver.

Try another keyboard.

Check the Event Viewer for a clue as to what the problem is.

System Restore? But it sounds more like a hardware problem.

5. bbearren

bbearren

If you can make it boot normally just by unplugging the keyboard, I would go with a new keyboard bofore I tried anything else.

6. polperro

polperro Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.
    This is the second keyboard that I've tried. The problem has occurred with both of them. Still, I've ordered a new keyboard and will try that to see how it goes, but my feeling is that the problem lies deeper than the keyboard.

7. bbearren

bbearren

There's a possibility that the PS2 connector on the motherboard is bad or making a loose connection with the keyboard PS2 connector. Have you tried a USB keyboard?

Also, is your hard drive one huge partition, or do you have it partitioned into smaller segments? XP sometimes has difficulty with a single huge partition.

What file format is your hard drive using?

8. polperro

polperro Thread Starter

I'm not keen on USB keyboards. I figure that if I've got a dedicated port for the keyboard I might as well use it and keep the USB ports useable. But the keyboard has a USB connector on it, but I use a USB-PS2 adaptor. I suppose I could try connecting it via USB, but I tried the other keyboard connected through USB and still got the system disk error.
    The hard drive is in 2 partitions and is NTFS format.
    As long as the problem is fixable by removing the keyboard, I'm not too worried. But I am a bit concerned that this is a sign of some deeper problem, which is why I'm trying to fix it before it has a chance to cause further problems.

9. bbearren

bbearren

Have you run chkdsk /r or sfc /scannow recently?

10. polperro

polperro Thread Starter

I've run chkdsk /r but not sfc scannow. How do I run that?

11. polperro

polperro Thread Starter

Never mind, I've done a search and found out how to do it. I'll give it a try.

12. polperro

polperro Thread Starter

When I try to run sfc scannow there's a brief flash of what looks like a DOS window and that's it.

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

that simply means that you have typed it incorrectly.

The command is:
    sfc /scannow

There is a space between sfc and /scannow

Looks like you omitted the /

I would seriously consider the battery as above, its a cheap and easy way of elimination, and a dud battery can cause this.

14. bbearren

bbearren

Actually, sfc must be run from the command line. Click Start > Run and type cmd. In the black window that appears, type sfc /scannow

The window will close and System File Check will run with a progress bar. It may take a while to run, and you may be asked to insert your installation CD.

15. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Actually, I just type in the Run line.....sfc /scannow. I don't type cmd first....

It has a thin gray GUI window that way, and you see a blue progress bar, isn't that the same process?

Windows File Protection and it runs along fine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice