1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" But CD-drive won't open

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GAguy009, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GAguy009

GAguy009 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I just built this new computer (everything new) but when I start it up it gives me this message, and I cannot open my disc (probably not recognised?). Please help resolve this.
    Btw. no operation system installed or so.

my computer:
    CPU: intel i7 920
    Motherboard: gigabyte GA-ex58-ud5
    Sata-II hdd
    + cd writer is SATA as well

Could it be that I need to update my bios somehow? I highly doubt it's the hardware as it's all new

2. Megabite

Megabite

Make sure the power cables are seated properly......try the Sata cable in another sata port on the board.....do all the fans spin and do you see Bios flash on the screen?

3. GAguy009

GAguy009 Thread Starter

Hey, I tried it with some other SATA ports but didn't change anything, all the fans spin. and I see the bios flash after it changes to PCI devices listing, followed by the error message.
    And yes the power cables are all seated right

4. Megabite

Megabite

Can you try that drive in another PC or try another CD drive in that PC

5. GAguy009

GAguy009 Thread Starter

No, I only have a laptop and only that CD drive. I am researching now on booting via USB to see if that works

6. tomhurst

tomhurst

Dunno if it's on laptops but I heard there's a tiny button to press which makes it pop out.. You need like a long needle to poke it, it's that small.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Sometimes even new out of the box hardware can be bad, this is why the term "DOA". The problem is not likely the motherboard, a cd drive will open as long as the power cable is connected to it unless the drive itself is broken.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice