1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidchan123, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidchan123

davidchan123 Thread Starter

Last night, my computer worked perfectly normal and smooth. However, when I wake up in the morning and turn on my computer I get this message "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". It just stucks there with the message and not able to continue. So I put in my Windows 7 CD, and now I'm forced to reinstall my Windows. I don't mind losing my data, but as I click Install Windows, it would not install because it cannot detect a Disk to install on. I click refresh and load driver, but no luck. It seems like my Hard Drive is dead or something. The only drive I could locate is my CD-Rom drive, but no hard drive to install. Then I was told to go to BIOs Setup by hitting F1,F2, Delete, F10 or w/e keys when my computer first booted. I went in there, but I don't know how to check if Hard Drive is recognized or not. I really want to make sure which exact part of my computer is broken so I don't waste money buying new parts that is still working. The problem is I'm stuck at the message "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". Nothing i tried can continue, not even safe mode. So, what is wrong?

Thanks.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Go back to the BIOS. The drives are typically listed in the first screen that comes up.
    You may also have a hardware listing screen during the boot process.
    It would be a good idea to check the cables leading to this drive to verify they are connected. I've seen SATA cables become detached.
    The most likely scenario is that your drive is dead and needs to be replaced.

3. davidchan123

I went back into BIOS SETUP and saw this IDE Channel 0,1,2,3 with Master and Slave thing. Is that suppose to be hard drive? It says [None] on all of the channels. I also open my case and put my ear right on the hard drive, I cannot hear anything inside it when I turn on my comp. (I know sound a little dumb) but ya.... I guess it is Hard Drive problem. I replug the SATA cable and the other small one many times still no luck. I'm thinking about taking off the hard drive from my other computer to put it on this one to test, but is it ok to do that? I'm afraid it will mess up my other hard drive and the computer.. So is it ok if i use any hard drive??

4. Hughv

Hughv

Again, check that the cables are correctly connected before you do anything else.
    It won't hurt to test with the other drive. Be sure the jumpers are set the same as the old drive.
    The replacement drive probably won't boot, but you'll know if it's detected.

5. davidchan123

I just took out the hard drive from my broken laptop and tested it on my desktop. It is now able to boot and get into windows and do everything like I'm using my old laptop. No more "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message. I guess I have to buy a new hard drive.. sorry im kinda new to computers.. thanks for the help.. it was pretty fun exploring inside the computer lol

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice