1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter - Tried many tips and nothing!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Silentgent, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silentgent

Silentgent Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

We have tried many things to get our computer running, and no luck. We have an older Pentium II 400 MHz computer, and we installed a brand new 500 GB IDE hard drive ( which is recognized at start-up ) and we have Windows XP to install. The computer will not install Windows, and the boot disk the hard drive manufacturer provided will not boot the computer.

We have been working on it for three nights and nothing! :(

We set the boot in BIOS to boot from CD, and it will not boot with Windows XP, or the hard drive CD that came from Western Digital. We even reset the bios, and took out the battery for over 5 minutes and no luck ( except that it helped the computer to finally recognize the new hard drive - we only have one which is set as the Primary Master. We checked all the cables, and disconected the main cables from behind the hard drive, and the two CD roms and nothing! :(

Can anyone please help us?

2. shaygate

shaygate

Are you getting the single beep POST noise when you switch on ?

When you say it won't install XP, what error messages are you getting (if any) ?

Does the BIOS recognise the drive correctly with the AUTO settings or do you have to enter the cylinders etc. manualy ?

Will the HD Makers boot disk or the XP CD boot the machine without the HDD connected ?

Just reread your message and the thought occured to me that the common link here apart from the HDD is the CD drives, you have tried booting from each seperatly haven't you !? :)

3. Silentgent

]
    Hello Shaygate,

We ARE getting the single beep POST noise when we switch on the computer.

Also, the BIOS did recognize the HD on Auto when the computer starts up.

Neither the manufacturer's boot disk, the Windows XP CD, or even the Ultimate Boot Disk boot the computer. All we get is: Boot from Atapi CD-ROM : Failure ...
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

As for the CD-ROMS, the one I have been able to use is the Secondary Slave, the Secondary Master keeps opening and closing and I don't think it is able to boot because of this. Could that be the problem? How can I make the secondary slave to secondary master?

Thank you so much! :)

4. Hughv

Hughv

Disconnect the secondary master, change the jumper on the slave to master, attach it using the current master position on the cable.
    It may not be necessary to do all that, but it will work if the drive is good.

5. Silentgent

Hello Hughv,

I tried it and it does not work - it still lists the secondary slave as secondary slave and would not change it to master. It now lists secondary master as : NONE

Yet, secondary slave remains secondary slave. :(

Does this mean that locgically the secondary slave is dead? Or what does it mean?

UPDATE: I tried it all again, and it is booting the Ultimate Boot CD right now - still waiting but we shall see. :)

Thank you SO much for all your help - we are extremely greatful.

6. srhoades

srhoades

I'll bet pesos to dollars that a motherboard that is that old will not recognize a 500GB partition. I remember when the Pentium II's came out because I was in high school and just got a job and I wanted to get one. That was 1997.

7. Silentgent

I managed to install Windows XP on the computer, and once the install finished it rebooted.

Once the PC rebooted, everything started running fine, started booting from ATAPI CD-ROM. It still has XP disk in CD player.

Then....

It says: Press Any Key to Boot from CD.....

I pressed Enter

Then it says: A disk read error occured
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I did this, it did not restart, so I did a hard restart and it did the same thing again.

What would you recomend? :)

Thank you~

8. markomus

markomus

I recommend not hitting any key to boot from CD.

9. Silentgent

Hello and thank you! Unfortunately, I tried that too and it did not work.

10. markomus

markomus

Then srhoades may be correct and the board doesn't recognize the 500GB drive. It is possible the manufacturer released a BIOS update to support that, but at this point in the game it isn't likely.

11. Hughv

Hughv

It obviously does recognize the drive, as XP got installed.
    If you can boot to the CD, pick the first repair option and ans run chkdsk /r from the Repair Console.
    Otherwise, change the boot order to HD first.

12. shaygate

shaygate

After successfuly installing XP to the HDD you don't need to boot from the CD-ROM, to finish the installation it needs to boot from the HDD. Go back into the BIOS and change back your boot sequence to HDD first, take the installation CD out from the drive and boot as normal. Fingers crossed everything should work.

Though its still seems to me that your problem stems from your CD drives, possibly one of them is u/s hence the read error on a disk it was reading quite happiliy a short time before. Of course check first for the obvious things like finger prints or smudges, scratches etc. on the read side of the disk

13. Silentgent

Hello Hughv,

I tried to boot from the CD, the CD was cleaned first and has no scratches, but it did not work. It fired up really well, but I still recieved the disk read error.

Also, I tried to boot from HD first, and also HD only, and C and A only and still recieve a "Disk read error".

Hello Shaygate,

I tried your advice as well, took the installation disk out and set it to boot from HD first in BIOS, HD only in BIOS, and C and A in BIOS and still recieve a disk read error.
    :(

The CD drive seemed to fire up nicely when it came to the part that says : Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM. Do you think it has problems? It made a nice strong sound like it really was working...

I really am greatful for everyone's help with this - Thank you for your kindness.

PS, at the end it always says to press control + alt + delete to restart... But that NEVER works, I wonder why?

14. Hughv

Hughv

Well, even if you do get this thing working, you're going to have an old, tired dog of a machine with ancient, possibly failing hardware. I have given away several computers that were far faster than this beast.
    You're at the point now of replacing drives/memory, etc., and it isn't worth any more effort, IMHO.

15. shaygate

shaygate

Hughv may well be right and its time to give it a decent burial !

However a couple of things you can try first

1) try disconnecting the CD drives completley and see if it will boot from the HDD if it does then there's your problem

Or

2) as somebody suggested maybe the bios is struggling with such a large partition. Try booting from the HDD makers disk and deleting the existing partition and creating 2 or 3 smaller ones then try again installing to them. This will mean of course when you finaly get XP working you will have a C: D: drive plus your CD drives but that shouldn't be too great a problem.

Anyway good luck !

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/862592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice