1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hammondj, Dec 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hammondj

hammondj Thread Starter

Due to failure I have had to install a new HDD. When trying to boot with a starup disk so I can access the cd-rom and install windows, all I get is this message. Im using the 98 SE boot disk image available from bootdisk.com. Any ideas anyone?? :confused:

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

hammondj,
    Welcome to TSG!!

Your w98 cd should be bootable. You need to make sure the boot sequence is
    1 cd
    2 floppy
    3 hd
    in the bios. You can access the bios by pressing del or esc or f2 (depends on the system) when the boot process starts.

Then remove the floppy from the A drive and put the 98 cd in and boot.

See if that helps and post back!

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi hammondj,
    To add to what Cybertech said, When you boot up does the pc reconize the hard drive? If it boots and it says none in the primary master , your Hard drive may have bit the dust. But lets hope you just need to set the BIOS to boot from your CD-ROM! Good luck!!

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

If your system is able to boot from cdrom that would be the way to go. If not use the floppy disk that came with the new hard drive to partition and format it. (set the bios to floppy first if you are doing this.)

With the downloaded image from bootdisk.com you need to exacute the downloaded program on a working computer. Then it will create a bootable floppy you can use to partition, format and setup windows.

Even if you can boot directly from the cdrom you will need to partition and format the hard drive before loading windows.

5. SierraFreak

SierraFreak

Actually guy's (and gals to be safe ;) ) don't you think it sounds like he could have the following:
    1. Corrupt files on floppy (assuming his BIOS options are set to access the A: drive first)
    2. Bad floppy drive (assuming his BIOS options are set to access the A: drive first)
    3. Or just plain didn't get the boot disk image made correctly...
    (assuming his BIOS options are set to access the A: drive first)

Does your A: drive light up and make the normal churning sounds like it is reading the disk as you attempt to boot up? If so, I'd recommend going to a working system I.E. Win ME, Win98 or even Win 95 if you have to, and make a bootable floppy disk using a known good diskette. Take it to your computer, if it boots you know that your other disk was to blame. If you get the same message then I'm pretty sure you BIOS is set wrong or you have a bad floppy drive.

Let us know...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/107154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice