1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deftonie, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deftonie

deftonie Thread Starter

Hello,
    After I got back my electricity from Hurricane Charlie. I turned on my secondary box and I got the "Pop-Fizz-Smoke" from my power supply. The mother board is an Asus CUSL2-C, Pentium 3 800 MHz, Windows XP Pro. So I just got a new power supply installed it. Everthing was going fine until my HDD was not getting auto-detected on boot up. I have an DVD-Rom on the secondary IDE channel and it was getting auto-detected. Well, I examined the mainboard to see if there was any burn or electrical marks on it front and back. I didnt see anything. I switched out IDE cables from my main box (works) and no go. The error that i am getting is "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter." Could anyone help me with this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You, Deft

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Can you access the bios setup to see if it will see the drive there and that it is in the boot order?

3. deftonie

deftonie Thread Starter

Boot order is floppy, cd-rom, hdd. I just switched the HDD to the secondary channel and the DVD-ROM the primary channel. The DVD-ROM was detected, so i guess a bad HDD.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you check the connections to the hard drive? Make hard drive first boot?

5. saikee

saikee

A hdd not bootable isn't always bad but I have no explanation why it became unbootable.

Why not boot the XP installation CD, go into the recovery console and use the command mode to check the content of the hdd? If you can see all the file structures chances are the problem may lie elsewhere.

6. kingmatt

kingmatt

Hi,
    At work we had a hd that we can only think was lightning affected. The tech guy here did a deep low level reformat. Obviously all information on the hd was wiped. He couldn't do a standard reformat as the boot sector setup info was lost as well. From memory he got the drivers from western digital.
    I also have a friend with a hd that was lightning affected. He retreived his information by removing the hd, setting it as a slave and installing it in another computer. This made the drive readable at least.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/263989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice