1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dryer-lint, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dryer-lint

Dryer-lint Thread Starter

Ok here's what I was doing. I was replacing my dad's crappy 300w power supply in exchange for a better 450w one in preparation for the arrival of a new processor, amd6000, and a new graphics card, radeon 3870. Except now, no matter which power supply I have in it says, "Disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter." So what did I do? Did I kill the hard drive somehow? Every thing's plugged in, I think. Now I'm sitting here with a sparkly new graphics card and processor and nothing to do with them. What do I do now?:(

Current set up is some HP thing with 1gb of RAM, Windows XP, an amd 3800, an nVidia 7300gt, and a 160 gig HD.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there a disk in a drive?

3. Dryer-lint

No disk in drive, also, I don't know know if it wants the HP boot disk, but I don't have it any more.

4. GripS

GripS

You didn't forget to plug power into the hard drive did you? Seems odd that a hard drive would die after replacing the power supply.

5. Dryer-lint

Hard drive power is in as firmly as I can get it.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you boot from the XP CD? Try it, log into the Recovery Console, and type:

map

Does it see all your partitions?

Is the drive recognized by BIOS?

7. Dryer-lint

Don't have an XP cd, it just came with the HP. Also, I think the drive might not be being recognized by the BIOS. I'm in the BIOS now and the only boot device it sees is the CD/DVD drive, which of course doesn't help because of my lack of boot CD.

8. Dryer-lint

Hey I think I figured out what the problem was. The SATA connector on the motherboard was messed up. I tried pulling the cable out to put it on one of the other 3 SATA connectors but the one it was on came off completely. Now I've got a SATA connector stuck to my SATA cable. Anyways, I have extra cables over at my mom's house if I need them, but I think I just need to somehow get the broken connector off of my cable. Any tips on how to do this would be great, as it's practically glued on there. In fact it probably is. Oh well, I'll go get the pliers.

9. GripS

GripS

OK now that is really lame. It appears whoever built that machine did indeed glue the connector in place. Talk about dumb. Anyway they probably did it because typically the connection requires very little to no effort. So much so that they probably dealt with a lot of support calls due to the cable coming loose during shipping. You can try pliers but i would plan on making the drive to mom's house for another cable.

10. Dryer-lint

Hewlett Packard made it lol. I don't know why they chose to glue THIS connector in place, but I need something to get the broken connector off. Ideas?

Well that didn't work. I'm going to probably go get another SATA cable, and if that doesn't work I'll just start crying.

11. Satsumomo

Satsumomo

You have to press on the SATA cables, or else they remain locked. I'm sure you did that though, did you? ;)

Unless it's your only SATA port in the MB, I wouldn't get too worked about removing it.

12. Dryer-lint

This day gets worse and worse, after my last post the monitor stopped getting a signal. Now the computer shuts off right after being turned on, probably because the PSU isn't powerful enough. I think I might replace my entire computer before it actually works again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/665072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice