1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DSB5, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DSB5

DSB5 Thread Starter

Hi

i just built my own PC, the parts can be seen in my profile.

Any way, when i turn on my PC i get a Error saying: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. But when i put in the system disk and press enter i just get the same error again.

Ive been googling a little and to speed it up ill try to give some info to rule some stuff out.
    Ive checked the BIOS and set the boot sequence to 1. CD 2. HDD 3. non.
    The System disk im using is Windows Vista Home Premium (not a copy).
    There is no scratches on the CD.

So far i think that it might be that the CD drive is damage.

Can anyone give me some advise? ill try my best to answer any questions if any are asked.

Thx in advanced:)

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Did it ever boot from the hard drive or the CD?
    Are both recognized in the BIOS?

3. DSB5

DSB5 Thread Starter

i just built the computer so it has never never run a OS.
    the HDD is recognized by in the BIOS and as far as i can tell so is the CD drive.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since the computer is not booting from the DVD drive (need that to install Vista), can you confirm that is correctly being identified in the BIOS

5. DSB5

DSB5 Thread Starter

im not a BIOS pro but in the CMOS features section, drive A is [1.44M, 3.5"] i would think that thats it but if not, there is nothing else.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That would refer to the floppy drive.

So if there is nothing else that would explain why the computer is not booting from the DVD drive.

Make sure all the cables are seated properly to the drive and the motherboard. Make sure any jumpers are set correctly and not conflicting with any other devices on the IDE channel.

7. DSB5

DSB5 Thread Starter

ok, i think i get it now. my HDD is connected to SATA 0 on my motherboard and the dvd drive is connected to Sata 1. in the BIOS it recognizes the HDD on channel 0 but nothing on channel 1.

i did suspect that it wasent it wasent beeing recognized but was 100% sure. when i plug the sata cable to the drive it is a little lose and there might be something wrong with it. ive tried switching cable and channels but nothing works so i think that im gonna go exchange the drive and get a new one.

thx for your help Bob :D

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You are welcome. Those connectors on SATA drives are not quite as secure as on the PATA ones. It looks like you have done some good troubleshooting by swapping cables and channels.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Swap the data cables over on the HDD and DVD drives and see if the DVD drive shows up then.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From your post "ive tried switching cable and channels but nothing works" already. Is that correct?

11. DSB5

DSB5 Thread Starter

yes, i have tried switching cables and channels, but it seem that the connector on the drive is not holding tight enough to the cable and the cable is lose, ive tried switching cables on it tried making it fit but it seems that they just dont want to hang on to the disk drive.

so im gonna test another sata drive when i get the chance and see if that work. if it does im gonna take mine to the store and complain, get a new one. the PS i bought didnt work eather but i got a new one.

12. DSB5

DSB5 Thread Starter

i found out what was wrong. i was searching through the BIOS and saw that i had forgoten to enable sata 1-3 native. but i have now and it is working perfectly.

thx for everything :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/691389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice